Alen Air Purifier Reviews (August 2019): How to Pick the Right Model For You
Alen Corporation, which was established in the early 2000s, is a reputable manufacturer of air purifiers. In this Alen air purifier reviews post, I will present to you 7 (the Top 7) of their best products to date.
You see, Alen is aware of the fact that people spend most of their time indoors (about 90% of the time). And the shocking truth is – our indoor environment is up to five times more polluted than the outdoors.
A lot of health problems can be traced to air pollution – such as allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and even serious respiratory diseases. Alen, however, is committed to manufacturing air purifiers that will help improve the quality of air in your indoor environment (home, office, building, etc.).
As a reputable brand in the industry, Alen air purifiers are known to be durable and versatile. Most of their models even come with customizable features to fit the needs of different types of users.
Alen Air Purifier Reviews (August 2019): Top 10 Best Picks
Air Purifier Technology by Alen
Air purifiers use several types of technology. Alen, in particular, commonly use the filtering systems listed below:
HEPA Air Purifier
Air purifiers that mainly use HEPA type filters are known to remove and filter large amounts of pollutants and contaminants in the air.
This includes allergens like pollen, mold spores, dust, dust mites, pet dander, etc.
While the best type of HEPA is the one called True HEPA, Alen has their own HEPA type system that’s almost as good as True HEPA.
Right now, they have 4 different types of HEPA filters which can be interchangeably used in their air purifiers.
Electrostatic Air Purifier
Electrostatic air purifiers don’t use filters. Instead, they have an internal air filtration system that works in attracting particles (like magnet).
Compared to HEPA filters (which are 99% effective in capturing air pollution particles), the filtering system used in Electrostatic devices are only 60% to 80% efficient (remember, no filters are used in the unit’s design).
Since it doesn’t use a filter, the internal filtration system requires more frequent cleaning in order for the unit to be useful.
Otherwise, a dirty filtering system won’t attract a lot of pollutants in the air (and therefore make it less efficient).
Ionizers work by filling the air with negatively charged ions. You see, air pollution is composed of particles that have positively charged ions. When negative ions are more abundant than positive ions, particles that make up air pollution will form into heavier forms and fall to the ground (other elements will stick on the surfaces of walls and furniture)
In any case, these pollutants and contaminants will be easier to clean.While negative ion generators work well by filling the air with healthy types of ions (which are good for the health), they really don’t work very well in filtering the environment from pollution. Unless cleaned (by a vacuum cleaner, for example), the elements remain in the surroundings and can be stirred back up into the air again.
For this reason, some models of ionizers are built with electrostatic filtering systems so that the unit can attract air pollutants.In reality, therefore, you will benefit best from an ionizer if it’s used in conjunction with a HEPA filter. You see, when pollutants are already heavy and solidified, it will be easier for the filter to suck them in and trap them in the filtering system.
Things to Look for in an Air Purifier
4 Types of Alen HEPA Filters
A lot of Alen air purifier models come with customizable HEPA filters. In a nutshell, what this means is that you can choose a particular type of HEPA filter that’s most suitable to your needs. Alen air purifiers with customizable filters have interchangeable filters (you only need to use one). The 4 types of Alen HEPA filters are the following:
This is Alen’s standard HEPA filter – and we can say that it’s for general use.
This type of filter is effective in filtering dust, allergens, and other types of small particles that cause air pollution.
Alen’s HEPA Silver filter is coated with anti-microbial treatment.
It’s very effective in killing germs and bacteria in the air as well as mold spores.
This filter is especially made for people with allergies and asthma.
This particular Alen HEPA filter is used for absorbing and neutralizing odors in the air.
It’s the most appropriate type of filter for pet owners (as our beloved pets usually carry stinky smells).
This HEPA type filter from Alen is for chemicals and gases in the air.
It’s a very absorbent filter for smoke particles, VOCs, and other types of vapors.
Things to Consider When Buying an Alen Air Purifier
So, you have made up your mind that you’re going to buy an Alen air purifier. But still, you’re not so sure as to which model to buy. To serve as your guide, I have listed some of the most important points you can look into when choosing an Alen air purifier model that’s right for you.
Models of Alen Air Purifiers
While there are different types and models of air purifiers, Alen only carries two. As of this writing, Alen air purifiers are only available in the following models:
Stand-alone air purifiers are typically positioned on the floor as they’re big and bulky.
However, there are models that can be accommodated on top of cabinets and tables.
Tower – Tower air purifiers are typically made to be portable.
They are called “tower” because they are built with slim designs.
Fan Speeds in Alen Air Purifiers
The number of fan speeds is an important feature in any air purifier because it shows a unit’s cleaning power. Alen air purifiers usually have 4 speed settings as follows:
- 1 (Low) – As the lowest speed, this is the quietest setting. This is the speed that’s best used during bedtime as it’s not bothersome.
- 2 (Medium) – Medium speed is used for normal air pollution control. When on auto mode, you will find that the Alen air purifier mainly operates on this setting when air quality is good (for maintenance purposes).
- 3 (High) – You can use the High-speed setting if you know that there are lots of pollutants in the air. On auto mode, the unit will sense the air quality in a particular room and adjust the speed settings accordingly.
- 4 (Turbo) – The Turbo setting is best used when the air is highly polluted – so polluted, that you can literally sense (or smell it). You can also use the Turbo mode at night – right before sleeping and right before setting the unit to low.
TOP RATED RABBIT AIR PURIFIER REVIEWS
Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier Review
- HEPA Pure Filter – This model comes with Alen’s standard HEPA filter. It’s a general-purpose HEPA type filter that’s effective in trapping dust, allergens, pet hair, pet dander, etc.
- Customizable – You can use any of Alen’s 4 types of HEPA filters on this unit.
- Ionizer – It comes with an ionizer feature that can be turned on and off as needed.
- SmartSensor Technology – The unit can automatically adjust its air purification settings depending on the current air quality in a particular room.
This model made it to the Top 1 slot because it’s very effective in cleaning air pollution in an indoor environment. In fact, it’s so powerful that you can use it in spaces and areas that are very large. This model is a good air purifier for dust and other types of pollutants in the air. And since it’s very powerful, it can work as an air purifier for whole house.
Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 Customizable Air Purifier Review
- HEPA Pure Filter – Alen’s standard HEPA Pure filter is included in the package.
- Customizable Air Filtering System – You can use 4 different types on HEPA filters in this device.
- Ionizer – It has a built-in ionizer with its own on/ off control.
- SmartSensor Technology – The unit is capable of detecting the air quality to that it can adjust its purification level accordingly.
This is another great unit from Alen. It’s also very powerful and can handle air purification in very large rooms. It’s an effective model of air purifier for allergies and other health problems.
Alen T500 Tower Air Purifier with HEPA-Pure Filter Review
If you’re specifically looking for a mini tower air purifier, you can consider the Alen T500 tower air purifier . As of this writing, it’s available in 12 different colors like black, white, and combination colors.
- HEPA Filter – Its main air filtering system is composed of a HEPA filter.
- Customizable Filter – You can use any of the 4 HEPA filters from Alen to fit your personal needs.
- Design – It comes with a handle (for portability).
- Fan Speeds – I has 3 speed settings (low, medium, and high).
This mini tower is about 10 inches shorter than the tower model at the Top 3 – so, yes, it’s more portable. In spite of its size, however, this unit is powerful enough to clean the air in a 500-square foot room. It’s a good air purifier for pets and can be easily positioned in pet areas.
Alen® T300 Tower Air Purifier Review
- HEPA Filter – This model uses a HEPA filter as the main filtering system.
- Ionizer – It has a built-in ionizer with its own on/off control.
- UV Light – It comes with a UV light feature that can be turned on and off as need.
- Pre-Filter – A permanent, washable pre-filter is included in the unit’s design.
This model is so powerful that it can work as an efficient air purifier for home use. Of course, you can also use it in the office. It’s really an all-around air purifier.
Alen Paralda HEPA Dual Airflow Tower Air Purifier Review
- HEPA Silver Filter – This model comes with Alen’s HEPA Silver filter as the main filtering system.
- Customizable Filtering System – You can use any of Alen’s HEPA filters
- Ionizer – It comes with an ionizer feature.
- UV Light – It’s equipped with a UV Light feature for more effective germ-killing action.
- Pre-Filter – It has a permanent, washable filter.
You can consider this model if you are willing to pay more for the Artist Themes. As you can see in this Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A review, it comes with a multi-stage filtering system (6 stages, to be exact) – so it works great for people with pets and those who are suffering from allergies and asthma.
Alen BreatheSmart FLEX Customizable Air Purifier Review
The Alen BreatheSmart FLEX air purifier is another option for a stand-alone HEPA air purifier – it’s a portable, mini air purifier. Right now, there are 14 colors to choose from such as black, white, blue, pink, etc.
- HEPA Pure – This particular model includes Alen’s standard HEPA filter for general use.
- Customizable Filtering System – When replacing the HEPA filter, you can choose from the 4 types of HEPA filters from Alen.
- Carbon Pre-Filter – This model includes a carbon pre-filter. Aside from being effective in odor control, it also works in prolonging the life of the main HEPA filter.
- Fan Speeds – It comes with 4 speeds for controlling the air purification process.
This is a basic type of air purifier and it will work for simple air purification needs. It’s also very portable, so it can work as a desktop air purifier.
Alen T500 Tower Air Purifier (4-Pack with 5 HEPA-Silver-Carbon Filters) Review
At the last of this Top 7 countdown is a package of 4 Alen T500 air purifiers – the same model at the Top 4. For this package, you only have 2 color options – black and silver and white (combination).
- HEPA Filter – All 4 units are equipped with HEPA filtering systems. HEPA is a great air purifier for smoke, pet dander, dust, pollen, etc.
- Customizable Filtering System – You can use any of Alen’s HEPA filters in the air purifiers.
- Package – The package includes 5 HEPA Silver filters.
- Fan Speeds – It has 3 speeds – low, medium and high.
I really like this package because it contains 4 mini tower air purifiers that are very powerful. Having several pieces of air purifiers means that you won’t have to transfer the units to different locations frequently. By getting this package, you will save on HEPA filter cost (it comes with 5 free filters).
Air Pollution Concerns that Can be Addressed by an Air Purifier
There are many different types of air pollution problems. If you experience any of the items listed below, then you really need an air purifier.
- Dust – Dust are not only troublesome to clean – small particles of dust can actually irritate your skin and respiratory system.
- Allergens – If you are allergic to dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores and smoke, using an air purifier will be beneficial for you.
- Asthma – Asthma attacks can be avoided if you are not exposed to polluted air. Stuffy air, unpleasant odors, chemical fumes and smoke particles can all be filtered by an air purifier.
- Pet Hair, Pet Dander, and Pet Odors – No matter how clean your pets are, they shed hair (or feathers, as the case may be) and pet dander. Pet areas can be very smelly, too. If you are a pet owner, it’s advisable to have an air purifier.
- Molds and Germs – Even if you’re regularly cleaning the house, molds and germs can still exist in your home environment. Use an air purifier to control these types of pollutants from developing and spreading.
- Smoke and Smoke Odors – Where there’s smoke, there are odors – and both are irritating. Air purifiers are very effective in removing smoke particles and odor molecules as well.
- VOCs and Chemicals – VOCs and chemicals are harmful to health. If you’re using cleansers in your house, you are exposing yourself to these harmful elements. Air purifiers can help you deal with these problems.
Which Alen Air Purifier Should You Go For?
What I really like about Alen air purifiers is that all models come with lifetime warranties. Although their HEPA filters may not be as efficient as True HEPA filters, they’re still good and effective in purifying the air from different types of allergens, dust, pet hair, etc.
Their 4 types of HEPA filters also make their air purifiers customizable to their customers’ particular needs and requirements. I highly recommend the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier and the Alen FIT50 air purifier if you’re particularly looking out to buy a stand-alone model. They’re both customizable when it comes to their HEPA filters and they both have ionizer features.
However, while the Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier is suitable for 1,100 square foot rooms, the Alen FIT50 air purifier is only good for 900-square foot rooms.
For a tower type unit, I would suggest the Alen T300. It has HEPA, Ionizer, UV light, and a washable pre-filter. I recommend it over the T500 (a mini tower) because it’s more powerful (The T300 has 4 speeds while the T500 only has 3 speeds).
Still, if you’re keen on getting the T500, I would suggest getting the 4-piece pack – especially if you’re considering buying several pieces of air purifiers. This way, you will have 4 units to place around your home (or office). Note, too, that this package includes 5 HEPA Silver filters for free.
Well, I really hope that this post on Alen air purifier reviews has been helpful to you. Do let me know your thoughts by leaving a message below. You can also share this article with your friends if they’re looking out to buy Alen air purifiers as well.