Best Air Mattress For Camping (Feb 2019): Top 10 Mattress Reviews For Comfortable Adventures
Camping adventures are always fun and exciting – and tiring. When you’re far away from home and outdoors, you still want to have a good night’s sleep, right? Well, having the best air mattress for camping will ensure that you’ll have a comfortable rest even when you’re not in your own home.
Air mattresses have been very popular for many years now – because of their practicality and affordability. They’re way better than sleeping bags because they’re softer and more comfortable. You see, this type of mattress doesn’t make use of foam or springs – since it’s inflated by air.
BEST AIR MATTRESS FOR CAMPING (FEB 2019): Top 7 Picks & Reviews
Because an air mattress has a multipurpose design, it can be used for different purposes such as:
- Outdoor bed – such as when you go out on camping trips and similar outdoor adventures.
- Indoor guest bed – it can be used as an extra bed when there are visitors in your house.
- Floatation device – since it floats on water, some models can also be used as a floating device.
In this post, I will particularly focus on air mattresses that are suitable for camping trips. So, although you can use the models of air beds presented here for different purposes, know that they are most suitable (and designed) for camping.
Styles of Air Mattresses
In the last section of this article, I will present you with reviews of the Top 7 best air mattresses on the market today. For now, however, it’s important to understand the different features of this type of bed first. In general, you can choose from 2 major styles of camping air mattresses based on their height and size.
Height – Air mattresses now come in different heights – so you can either sleep close to the ground or away from the ground. Consider the height styles below:
- Raised air mattresses – With this type of air bed, the mattress is made to be tall in height as if it has a stand (yes, it’s quite big and bulky). If you want to be safe from crawling insects (and snakes), this style will make you feel secure.
- Low profile air mattresses – If you don’t mind sleeping close to the ground, this style will suit you well. A low-profile air bed is easier to manage because it’s not as big and bulky as the raised bed types.
Size – Air mattresses also come in different sizes, just like regular beds (but the sizes are not exactly the same). You can choose from the following sizes:
- models that are especially made for children
- units for single adult use
- queen size models for couples.
Benefits to Using an Air Mattress When Camping
Whether you intend on using an air mattress for camping or for other purposes, you will benefit from the following:
- Air mattresses have adjustable firmness since you can control the amount of air to inflate them with. To fix a hole in an air mattress, please visit here.
- Modern air beds are now very affordable.
- When outdoors, air mattresses are more comfortable to sleep on than sleeping bags. And when used indoors, sleeping on an air bed is more comfortable than sleeping on the floor or couch.
- Since air mattresses can be easily inflated and deflated, they’re very portable. They’re practical for outdoor use since they’re made to be compact and lightweight. And when used as an extra bed for visitors, they’re very easy to store.
- Air mattresses are versatile. Although really intended for temporary use and occasional sleeping purposes, they can also be used permanently at home. Just keep in mind that these beds are filled with air – and are, therefore, more delicate in nature than foam and spring type beds.
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Air Mattress for Camping
Now that you’re keen on buying an air mattress for your next camping trip, I want to help you with the process of choosing the right model of air bed for you.
Consider the points listed below and you will surely end up with the air mattress or mattresses that’s most suitable to your needs.
- Height – Decide on the style of air mattress you want for your camping trip. While a raised type of air mattress is safer and more comfortable, it’s heavier and more difficult to manage as well (especially if you have a small tent). If ease of use is more important to you, then go for a low-profile model.
- Size – Ask yourself who will use the air mattress. If it’s for a child, you can get a small air mattress. If it’s for an adult person, you have the option of getting a model that will only accommodate one person or a bed that’s suitable for a couple.
- Pump Options – Unless you get a model that’s self-inflating, you will need an air pump to fill the air bed with air. Note that there are models with built-in air pumps and these are very convenient to use (they’re self-inflating). However, there are also models that require an external air pump – the package can come with a foot pump or you will need to provide one yourself.
- Materials – The materials used in an air mattress is important as these will affect the unit’s durability. Moreover, the type of materials used will also affect the overall weight (and portability) of the product.
- Circumstances – Plan in advance if you will be mostly sleeping under the stars, inside the tent, or inside the house. Again, these factors will influence your choice when deciding on the height and size of an air mattress.
- Purposes – While mainly planning on using an air mattress for camping purposes, also decide if you want to use it for other purposes (extra bed at home, floatation device in pools, etc.).
- Budget – Fortunately, there are air mattresses for every range of budget out there – so, you will surely find one that’s well within your means. Still, investing on a more expensive model could mean that you’re getting better quality (and your money’s worth).
TOP RATED AIR MATTRESS FOR CAMPING REVIEWS
SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress Review
The SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress (video) is a raised type of air bed. You can get it in blue (top) and beige (body) combination.
- Size – This queen size model measures 78x58x19 inches (LxWxH).
- Built-in Pump – It comes with 1-click automatic air pump that works in inflating and deflating the air bed.
- Operation – It will only take about 4 minutes for the air mattress to inflate to maximum firmness.
- Design – This model has a dual chamber design – that’s why it’s height is almost 19 inches above the ground.
- Materials – The materials used in this air bed are made to be thick, waterproof and puncture-resistant.
- Capacity – It can hold a maximum weight of 500 pounds.
- Construction – The unit is made of cast iron materials.
In spite of its many cons, the Soundasleep Dream Series air mattress made it to the Top 1 slot because it’s very comfortable to use outdoors. This can accommodate 2 people and it’s designed as a raised type of air bed. If you really want to sleep safely and comfortably while on a camping trip, this model makes for a fine choice (it can also double up as an extra bed for home use).
Intex Inflatable Fabric Camping Mattress Review
The Intex Inflatable Fabric Camping Mattress with Built-In Pillow (video) is yet another option for a low profile and portable air mattress. Right now, this model is only available in black color.
- Size – This is a one-person model of air mattress and it measures 26.5x72.5x6.75 inches (LxWxH).
- Design – Since this is a camping air mattress, it’s designed to be waterproof.
- Materials – It’s made from laminated vinyl fabric.
- Capacity – It can accommodate adults up to 200 pounds.
Consider this model as one of your options when looking for a lightweight air mattress (it only weighs around 3 pounds). It can also double up as a floatation device when you’re on the beach. While it doesn’t seem to be the most durable air mattress you can get, it’s rated high on portability.
Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person PVC-Free Air Bed Mattress for Camping and Travel Review
For another choice in a low-profile air mattress, consider the Lightspeed outdoors deluxe TPU air bed (video). It’s currently available in 3 colors – blue, green, and blue/gray combination.
- Size – It’s a queen size model and can accommodate 2 persons. It measures 79x55x6.25 inches (LxWxH).
- Air Pump – It comes with battery-operated air pump (4 D batteries – not included).
- Materials – The main mattress is made of TPU thermoplastic polyurethane (PVC-free).
- Design – It’s designed to be portable and compact. When folded, it measures 18.4x9.2 inches. And its total weight is only 6 pounds.
You can consider this model of air mattress if you’re looking for an affordable yet comfortable air bed for camping.
Intex Cozy Kidz Inflatable Airbed Review
For a low-profile style of air mattress, the Intex Cozy Kidz inflatable air bed (video) is especially made for kids. It’s available in many assorted colors like yellow, green, and blue.
- Size – Technically, this kid’s air mattress is a twin-size bed. It measures 62x34.5x7 inches (LxWxH).
- Air Pump – An external air pump is needed (not included).Design – It’s designed to be waterproof.
- Package – This model’s package includes an inflatable pillow. There’s also a repair patch kit, just in case accidental punctures happen while outdoors.
- Capacity – Children up to a maximum of 200 pounds can use this air mattress.
For a light and portable air mattress (for kids) this model can be a great option. You can use it for camping adventures and sleepovers. It’s also versatile enough for home use and pool use (as a floatation device) as well. Just keep in mind that it comes with a small (not standard) inflation valve – so, you need to have a multi-purpose air pump to inflate it with air.
SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress Review
- Size – With this model, you have the option of choosing a queen size or twin size unit. They’re slightly smaller than the standard sizes for regular beds.
- External Pump – This model comes with an external air pump (with rechargeable battery). Inflation and deflation is fast and easy.
- Operation – It only takes a couple of minutes to fully inflate and deflate the air mattress.
- Design – It’s made of thick materials that can withstand the abuses outdoors.
- Capacity – These air beds can accommodate weights up to 500 pounds.
This is a high-quality model of air mattress. Its only flaw is that the included air pump is not compatible with electric outlets and cigarette lighter outlets. Know that you will be totally dependent on the rechargeable battery when you get this air mattress.
Coleman SupportRest Double High Airbed Review
As of this writing, the Coleman SupportRest Double High Airbed (video) is only available in one color – gray.
- Size – This model comes in queen size. It measures 78x60x18 inches (LxWxH).
- Air Pump – It uses an external air pump (not included).
- Materials – The main mattress is made of PVC materials and the sleeping surface is lined with plush fabric.
- Coleman Air Tight System – It’s made to be airtight to retain firmness.
This raised type of air mattress is designed like a traditional bed. It can be used for camping and other outdoor adventures while also being suitable for home use.
Stansport Self-Inflating Air Mattress Review
The Stansport self-inflating air mattress (video) is a low-profile type or air mattress and it’s available in the color green.
- Size – This model comes in 3 sizes, but the standard size measures 72x25 inches (LxW).
- Style – It’s designed for portability, focusing on a compact and lightweight design.
- Air Pump – This is a self-inflating air mattress and it comes with a strong plastic air valve. Once closed, the seal is reliable and air leaks are avoided.
- Operation – Just unscrew the air valve and the mattress will inflate itself automatically (up to 3 inches thick). To deflate, simply unscrew the air valve and press and roll the mattress to release the air.
- Construction – It uses open cell type of foam incorporated in durable, soft fabric materials.
This is a very practical model of air mattress and I like it a lot. It’s really great for camping because it’s small, light, and compact. A lot of campers consider this model as the most comfortable camping mattress today.
Choosing the Best Air Mattress for Camping
You have a lot of good options in the Top 7 review section of this post – and I hope you have made up your mind as to which model to buy. If not, I can still give you some suggestions based on the Top 7 products listed above.
As you can see, I placed the SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress be the most versatile air bed for camping. Note that it can accommodate 2 people because it’s a queen size bed (with up to 500 pounds of body weight). It’s basically the best camping mattress for couples.
And since it’s a raised air bed that has a total of 19 inches in height, it will keep you away from the ground (and crawling insects). So, if you’re willing to carry 20 pounds of additional weight for a comfortable air mattress, I say go for this model.
Now, if you’re after portability and ease of management in an air mattress, I would suggest looking at the Stansport model. It’s a single size bed that’s self-inflating – so, you don’t even need to bring an air pump for this air bed. With only 1 pound additional weight in your bag, you will be sleeping in a comfortable 3-inch high air mattress when you decide to buy this product.
Lastly, if you’re looking out to buy an air mattress for your kids, the Intex Kids model is really a great option. It can accommodate up to 200 pounds of body weight while only weighing 4 pounds when deflated. This air bed even comes with an inflatable pillow – yes! This model can be considered as the best air mattress for everyday use.
I suggest looking back at the Top 7 list and scrutinizing the pros and cons of each model before making your final decision. Don’t forget that owning the best air mattress for camping will truly make your camping experience more memorable.
I will be waiting for your comments below (let me know which one you picked, ok?). Also, don’t forget to share this post with your other adventurous friends.