Best Air Purifier For Allergies (April 2019): Buying Guide for Allergy Suffers
If you always get allergy attacks due to the quality of air in your home or office, getting an air purifier is one of the solutions you can look into. With the best air purifier for allergies, the air in your immediate environment can be cleaned and purified so that you can lead a more normal (and comfortable) life.
There are many different types of allergens in the air – and people are affected in many different ways (this will depend on a person’s sensitivity to a particular form of allergen).
Best Air Purifier For Allergies (April 2019): Top 12 Picks & Reviews
Top 3 Problems of Allergies:
Air allergy symptoms can include:
Difficulty in breathing
Since most allergens are microscopic, you really can’t see them. However, an air purifier can effectively capture them and filter the air not only from these allergens but from other pollutants as well.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Air Purifier for Allergy
If you are decided on getting an air purifier for your allergy problem, consider the following:
- Filtration System – For the best filtering system, choose a unit that uses HEPA filter (True HEPA is the best since it’s 99.97% effective in filtering the air from microscopic allergens and other particles). Models that have ionizers are good too, as negative ions can result in having a healthy environment.
- Coverage – Don’t use a small unit to purify the air in a very large room (it will not be powerful enough to do its job effectively). Know how powerful a model is and whether it’s capable of handling air purification in a particular size of the room that you intend to use it for.
- Noise Level – Air purifiers have motors and fans – so, choose a unit that won’t be bothersome to you.
- Portability – Size is important if you have limited space or if you intend to transfer the unit from one place to another. The tower type air purifiers are typically light and portable – and they don’t occupy a lot of space on the floor either.
- Other Points to Consider – There are units that you can use in your car or special areas in your home (pet areas, kitchen, etc.). These will also help in minimizing your allergy attacks.
TOP 12 RATED AIR PURIFIER FOR ALLERGY SUFFERS
Hamilton Beach 04383A TrueAir Allergen-Reducing Air Purifier Review
This Hamilton Beach air purifier 04383A is a stand-alone type of air filter – it can be placed on the floor or on top of the table. It’s currently available in white color.
- Permanent HEPA-grade Filter – It can effectively filter 99% of airborne particles that cause allergies and asthma attacks.
- Speed – It comes with 3 speeds or 3 levels of air purification.
- Control System – It uses a simple knob to control its settings.
- Design – It can be used in both vertical and horizontal positions.
This model can effectively filter the air from pet dander, pollen, fur, and other allergy causing particles that float in the air. It’s definitely a good air purifier for dog allergies as well as cat allergies.
Hamilton Beach 04386A TrueAir Allergen-Reducing Air Purifier Review
This Hamilton Beach air purifier 04386A is a compact tower and desk unit. As of this writing, it’s only available in black color.
- Permanent HEPA-grade Filter Technology – Allergens and pollutants can be effectively filtered from the air.
- Speed – It has 3 speeds for 3 levels of cleaning power.
- Positioning – This model can be positioned vertically or horizontally.
- Control System – It uses a knob to control the settings on the unit.
This is a compact air purifier that can be used as a desktop unit. It’s also ideal for bedroom use. It works well as an air purifier for dust, allergens, microbes, and more.
Whirlpool Whispure AP51030K HEPA Air Purifier Review
A unit that’s made for both home and office use, the Whirlpool air purifier model AP51030K is available in 2 colors – black and white.
- True HEPA Filtering System – This model uses HEPA filter which is the best air filter for allergies. It’s 99.97% effective in filtering the air from allergens, dust, and other microscopic forms of contaminants and pollutants.
- Carbon Filter Design – It comes with a carbon filter which is very effective in absorbing and trapping odor-causing molecules in the air.
- Pre-Filter System – A set of grills acts as pre-filter. It filters large forms of pollutants so as not to load up the capacity of the carbon and HEPA filters unnecessarily.
- Speed – It comes with 4 fan speeds, a sleep (very low) speed, and a turbo speed (very high).
With its 3-stage filtering system (pre-filter, carbon filter, and True HEPA filter) you can expect a very efficient air purifying system when you run this unit in your home or office. Allergens and pollutants that are very small (microscopic, even) can also be purified from the air.
Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Allergen Remover Air Purifier Review
The Honeywell air purifier model HPA300 is a stand-alone unit for home and office use. It’s currently available in black color.
- True HEPA Filtering Technology – It’s effective for filtering the air from 99.97% of dust, allergens, and other microscopic particles.
- Activated Carbon Pre-Filter – It works in absorbing odor-causing molecules that can trigger allergy attacks.
- Control System – It uses an easy tap control system that’s sensitive to the touch.
- Timer – It comes with an 8-hour timer.
For more Honeywell Air Purifier, click here.
Airborne allergens, dust, and mold spores in the air can be effectively filtered with this model of air purifier. I also like the fact that this Honeywell air purifier is powerful enough to clean air in a really large room.
Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier for Allergies and Dust Review
The Alen air purifier BreatheSmart is a stand-alone type unit that can be used both at home and in the office. This is currently available in different shades of color like black, white, stainless, green, pink, blue, etc.
- HEPA-Pure Filtering System – This filter system is effective for purifying the air from pollen, pet dander, mold spores, dust, and other forms of allergens and pollutants.
- SmartSensor Technology – Its patented SmartSensor design can determine the air quality in a particular room so that it can automatically adjust its air purification level.
- Speed – There are 4 speeds (low to high) of cleaning levels to choose from.
- Design – This air purifier filters the air by trapping particles that are floating in the air. It doesn’t produce ozone in the air purification process.
Click here to read more reviews of Alen Air Purifiers.
Allergy suffers and pet owners will benefit from this air purifier. It’s very effective in cleaning the air from pet dander and other forms of microscopic allergens. As the Top 1 product in this Top 12 list, I consider it to be the best HEPA air purifier for allergies.
BUY MORE SAVE MORE SG Bamboo Charcoal Deodorizer Bag and Air Purifier Review
The SG Bamboo charcoal deodorizer bag air purifier can prove to be helpful to allergy sufferers. You can get it in sky blue color.
- Design – Charcoal from bamboo is placed in a small bag.
- Construction – A linen bag holds the bamboo charcoal.
- Operation – The charcoal material is very effective in absorbing odor from the air.
- Dehumidifier – It’s designed to absorb moisture from the environment.
I like this air purifier because it’s cheap and useful. You can also use it anywhere – in your home, office, and in your car. It may not be the best HEPA air purifier, but it’s a good, inexpensive deodorizer (allergy sufferers need odor-reducing devices, too, you know).
GermGuardian AC5350B Elite 4-in-1 Digital Tower Air Purifier Review
This Germguardian air purifier Elite is a truly one-of-a-kind tower type filtration system. It’s only available in 1 color – black.
- True HEPA Filtering System – It’s effective for filtering 99.97% of allergens and other microscopic elements in the air. It can filter pet dander, pollen, mold spores, dust, etc.
- Charcoal Filter Design – It comes with a filter that’s very effective in absorbing odor molecules from the air.
- UV-C Light Technology – It purifies the air by killing germs, bacteria, viruses, etc.
- Speed – It has 5 speeds for 5 levels of cleaning and purifying the air.
The Germguardian Elite has a very effective air cleaning system. Allergy suffers will surely find it useful because it’s a great air purifier for pet allergies and other forms of allergies as well.
AeraMax 100 Home Air Purifier for Allergies and Asthma Review
The AeraMax air purifier 100 is a tower type unit that’s suitable for both home and office use. It’s currently available in 2 colors – black and white.
- True HEPA with antimicrobial treatment – It can filter 99.97% of microscopic elements that can cause allergies – such as pollen, pet dander, mold spores, etc. It is also effective in killing germs.
- AeraSmart Technology – Its patented AeraSmart technology allows it to monitor the quality of air in a room so that it can automatically adjust the air purifying settings on the device.
- Carbon Filter – Airborne particles that cause odors are absorbed and trapped in this filter.
- Ionizer – Its ionizer feature can be turned on and off as needed.
This model works well as an air purifier for pet allergies since it uses several methods of purification. Allergy sufferers will surely find relief when pollutants and allergens are filtered from the air. Just note that this model only works for small to medium sized rooms – so, it would only work great as a room air purifier.
Oransi Finn Air Purifier for Asthma and Allergies Review
As a tower-type air purifier, the Oransi Finn model makes for a good choice when choosing a unit for your home or office. You can get it in black color.
- HEPA Filter – Its filter can capture 99% of allergens, dust and other air pollutants in the air.
- Pre-Filter Setup – There are 2 pre-filters that trap larger particles of allergens and contaminants in the air.
- Ionizer – Its ionizer function can be turned on and off (depending on your needs).
- Speed – It has 3 speeds and levels of cleaning.
Since this unit is effective in filtering pet dander, pollen, mold spores, dust and other types of allergens, those with the allergy will surely benefit from it. If you’re looking for an air purifier for cat allergies and dog allergies, consider this model.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier Review
This Winix air purifier model 5300-2 is for home and office use. You can get it in silver color.
- True HEPA Filtering Technology – It’s 99.97% effective in purifying the air from pet dander, pollen, dust, dust mites, and other irritating particles that can trigger allergy attacks.
- Carbon Pre-Filter – This prolongs the life of the HEPA filter by filtering large particles of allergens and dust from the environment.
- PlasmaWave System – It can filter odor causing particles and allergens in the air on a molecular level.
- SmartSensor – It can gauge the quality of air and adjust the fan speed and cleaning level to purify the air from pollutants and allergens.
This home air purifier can clean the air from dust, pet dander, pollen, smoke, and other allergens. You can use it in large rooms since it’s very powerful. It also comes with multi-stage air filtering system.
PeakPlus PPAIR6281 Car Air Purifier Review
The PeakPlus car air purifier and freshener is a handy air filter that can be used in your vehicle. It comes in a stylish silver color.
- Ionizer – As an ionic air purifier, it releases negative ions into the air. This not only cleans the air but freshens it as well.
- Operation – To use it, just plug it into the 12-volt cigarette lighter in your car.
- Car Usage Design – It’s effective for cleaning allergens and odor-causing pollutants in the air. It also works in combatting car-sickness and sleepiness while on the road.
- Freshener – As a car air freshener, it fights unpleasant smells that can cause allergy attacks.
I like this car air purifier because it allows you to have clean and fresh air while inside your vehicle. It’s effective in controlling allergy-causing pollutants from affecting you (such as pollen, smoke, pet dander, etc.).
Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 Allergy Air Purifier Review
This Alen air purifier BreatheSmart model FIT50 is another great choice for home and office use. You can get it in many different colors like white, black, bronze, blue, gray, and more.
- HEPA Filter System – It works in purifying the air from allergens like mold spores, pollen, pet dander and more. It can also filter dust and smoke particles in the environment.
- Ionizer – It comes with an ionizer feature that can be turned on and off as you see fit.
- SmartSensor – It can detect allergens and pollutants in the air and will automatically adjust the cleaning level as needed.
- Speed – It has 3 regular speeds and a turbo speed for quick air purification.
This is an all-around air purifier that’s great for allergy sufferers and pet owners. It works well in filtering pet hair and pet dander and other types of allergens in the air as well.
How Air Purifiers Work in Filtering the Air from Allergens
There are 4 ways in which an air purifier can help in controlling allergens in your immediate environment:
When an air purifier is using a filtering system, allergens are pulled from the air and filtered so that clean, fresh air can be released back into the air. This is the main function of HEPA filters.
Filters can also trap odor-causing molecules that can trigger allergy attacks. Activated carbon filters are very good at this function.
When air purifiers use ionizers, negative ions are released into the air to purify it without having to use a filter. The negative ions will attach themselves to the allergens (which are positively charged) so that these will fall to the ground or attach onto surfaces. The process, therefore, takes all the allergens from the air so that they’re easier to clean (through vacuuming).
There are also air purifiers that have ozone generators. These products release ozone into the air, which is very effective in cleaning the air from pollutants, germs, and allergens. However, in order for ozone to be effective, this gas needs to be released in high concentration – which is also toxic to humans and animals.
Should You Get More than One Air Purifier?
I really suggest getting more than one air purifier if you have a big house. The best setup is to have one air purifier per room or area in your home.
If you have a large living room, get a very powerful model for this area of your home.
And if you have pets that live with you, a powerful model is also needed. Less powerful units may work for smaller rooms like the bedroom.
You can also use a combination of different types of air purifiers – those that use filters, those that have ionizers and even air fresheners for odor control as bad smells can also trigger allergy attacks.
How Much Should You Expect to Pay for an Air Purifier?
Expect to pay more for branded and powerful air purifiers. Those that cost around $500 usually cover large areas and come with lifetime warranty.There are also models of air purifiers that are around $100.
These have good quality, too, but they may not be as powerful as more expensive units.You can also get cheap air purifiers and air fresheners – those that range from $10 to $20. These can come in the form of car lighter types and deodorizer bag types. They may be weak and inexpensive, but they work for small areas effectively.
Can Air Purifiers Help with Allergies?
Yes, air purifiers can help with allergies – but don’t expect them to be the perfect solution to your allergy problems. They can help, yes, but they cannot get rid of allergens in the air with 100% accuracy.
Hey, even the most advanced type of filter (the True HEPA) is only effective up to 99.97% (let’s be realistic).
It also depends on the gravity of the situation – the allergens in your place and your sensitivity to them.
So, while an air purifier can ease the allergy symptoms of 1 person with a minor case of allergy effectively, it will only improve the condition of a person with a more severe case of allergy.
It’s also important to remember that you still need to clean your immediate surroundings even if you have several air purifiers around.
Really, air cleaners for allergy sufferers never claim to be 100% effective in purifying the air from ALL types of dirt and pollutants that can trigger allergy attacks.
Choosing the Best Type of Air Purifier for Allergies
For an effective air purifier for allergies, take note of the points listed below.
- Choose a model with carbon filter as this is very effective in absorbing odor. Having bad smells in your environment is irritating, and it can also trigger allergic reactions.
- Know that air purifiers with ionizer functions are also useful in purifying the air from allergens and odors as well.
- UV-C light features are also good to have in an air purifier as they can effectively kill disease-causing germs in the environment.
- Those with ozone generators are effective in purifying the air of pollutants, contaminants, and odors. However, studies show that exposure to ozone is bad for humans and animals alike.
Tips to Reduce Allergens in Your Home or Office
- If you have allergies, refrain from using carpet flooring. Allergens can get trapped in carpets and clean them 100% can be very difficult.
- If you have pets, make sure that the pet areas are always clean and odor-free (regular cleaning and using an air purifier will help).
- If you’re using air purifiers, clean the filters when they get dirty. Also, replace dirty filters if they’re not washable.
- When you have allergy attacks, close all windows as the wind can carry different types of allergens inside.
Do let me know your thoughts as to which product is the most suitable to your needs – and don’t forget to share this post with other allergy sufferers. Just keep in mind that the best air purifier for allergies is the one that can deliver on your personal needs.