Best Air Purifier For Dust (October 2019): Top 12 Rated Air Purifier To Help You Remove Dust From Home
Dust problem is really hard to deal with – because dust is basically everywhere. If you’re looking for the best air purifier for dust, this post is for you.
If you simply want to find an effective air purifier for dust because you’re overwhelmed with the amount of dust in your home, please keep reading. Just so you know, controlling your exposure to dust is beneficial to your overall health.
Best Air Purifier for Dust (October 2019): Top 12 Picks & Reviews
Where Does Dust Come From
If you’ve ever wondered where dust comes from – just look outside. Dust mostly come from outdoors and the wind carries dust particles into your home. Yes, about 60 percent of the dust in your home come from the outside. But what about the other 40%?
Dust can also come from the inhabitants of your home – you, the members of your household, and your pets. As living things, people and animals shed dead skin cells regularly (almost non-stop) – so, those particles also transform into dust.The other objects in your home environment are also dust producers (and dust magnets).
If you’re using a carpet, for example, the fiber from the carpet can convert into dust. Also, dust from people’s clothes and shoes can also be brought indoors (when they come in).Airborne particles can also combine with dust as they enter our homes. These can include arsenic, lead, and other harmful substances. And for this reason, it’s really of utmost importance that we get rid of as much dust as we can from our homes.
Why is Dust Dangerous to ?Your ?Health?
Yes, dust can be dangerous to our health, but it depends on several factors. The toxicity level of dust in the environment will depend on the following:
- How long your exposure to dust is
- Exposure to dust can cause the following (depending on your sensitivity and current health status):
- How big or small the dust particles are
- The amount of dust you are exposed to
Irritation of Eyes
To further understand where dust particles go, see the points below
- Large dust particles can fall freely to the floor and on your furniture (they are too heavy to stay airborne) – these can be swept or vacuumed when cleaning the house.
- Dust particles that are not that large and heavy can stay afloat in the air. When you inhale these dust particles, they will get trapped in your nose hair and will be filtered from entering your body.
- Very small (fine and ultra-fine) dust particles can pass through the nasal passages and end up in your lungs. Very fine dust particles can even be absorbed into the blood stream when a person is exposed to them.
- If you already have an existing health condition such as asthma, allergy or emphysema, even short exposure to small amounts of dust can trigger your current situation to become worse. Also, many years of exposure to dust can lead to serious health problems like: Bronchitis, Lung diseases and Heart problems.
TOP 12 RATED AIR PURIFIER FOR DUST 2019
GermGuardian AC5350B Elite 4-in-1 Digital Tower Air Purifier Review
The GermGuardian air purifier model AC5350B Elite 4-in-1 is as good as it sounds. It landed in the Top 3 position because it’s one of the best air purifiers on the market today. If you want it, you can get it in the color of black.
- True Hepa Filtration System – This type of HEPA filter is the best air filter for dust and is very effective in filtering 99.97% of small particles in the air (including dust and allergens).
- Charcoal Filter System – It can filter molecular particles that cause odors (pet smells, cigarette smoke, cooking smoke, etc.).
- UV-C Light Technology – This air purifying method is effective in killing bacteria, viruses and other types of germs that are present in the air.
- Filter Change Indicator – You will be alerted if the filters need cleaning or changing.
This is one of the best models of air purifier in this Top 12 list. Aside from being a useful air purifier for dust, it also works great as an air purifier for pets. You can consider it for small to medium sized rooms.
Honeywell 50250?-S Air Purifier Review
This Honeywell air purifier model 50250-S is a great option for home and office use. Right now, this unit is only available in 1 color – white. And if you want more honeywell air purifier models, click here.
- True HEPA Filtering system – It comes with a True HEPA filter that’s 99.97% effective in cleaning the air from dust and other microscopic particles.
- Carbon Activated Pre-Filter Design – To prolong the life of the HEPA filter, a pre-filter is positioned around it to catch large particles of dust, pet hair, lint, etc.
- Fan Motor System – A powerful fan allows for the efficient sucking of unpurified air in the room and also for releasing clean air back into the room.
- Filter Indicator – It’s equipped with a filter change indicator.
I really like this Honeywell air purifier because it can effectively filter dust from a very large room. It’s also a good air purifier for allergies. Since it’s quite noisy, however, it is not suitable for bedroom use.
Hamilton Beach 04386A TrueAir Allergen-Reducing Air Purifier Review
- Permanent HEPA-grade Filtering System – This filter is effective in cleaning the air from dust and allergens.
- Speed – It comes with 3 speeds equivalent to 3 levels of purification.
- Control System – The unit is equipped with a knob for operation.
- Design – You can position it horizontally or vertically on your desktop of the shelf.
I like this Hamilton Beach air purifier because its design is compact. It’s perfect as a desktop air purifier – and it will also work well for a small bedroom.
Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower Air Purifier Review
- Permanent HEPA Filter Design – It comes with a washable HEPA filter that’s 99% effective in cleaning the air from dust, pet dander, pollen, etc.
- Oscillation System – It has an oscillation control that can be turned on and off.
- Speed – It has 3 speeds corresponding to 3 cleaning levels of air purification.
- Cooling Fan – It blows cool air back into the room.
This Honeywell air purifier is a great model of air purifier. For me, its only flaw is that it doesn’t use a True HEPA filter in its filtering system. Still, this would work for medium sized rooms and perform well as a dust filter for the room (if dust is not that prevalent).
Honeywell 17000-S QuietCare Air Purifier Review
- True HEPA Filter – This type of filter is 99.97% effective in filtering dust and other microscopic particles in your immediate environment.
- Activated Carbon Pre-Filtering System – A pre-filter wraps the True HEPA filter so that large particles of dust, allergens, and pollutants will cling to it first.
- Speed – It has 3 speeds for 3 levels of purifying the air.
- Control System – It uses soft touch control system for operation.
This is an effective dust air purifier for medium to large sized areas. Aside from dust, it also works in filtering pet dander, dust mites, mold, and germs from the air.
FRiEQ Car Air Freshener and Ionic Air Purifier Review
- Ionizer – This model releases negative ions in your car indoor environment to clear the air from dust, germs and other microscopic elements that can make you sick.
- Design – It comes in a compact design.
- Ozone Producer – As an ionizer, it releases a very small amount of ozone in the environment.
- Operation – To use it, just plug the unit in your car’s 12-volt cigarette lighter.
The FRiEQ air purifier for cars is useful in filtering air in your vehicle (not just from dust but from other pollutants like smoke, pollen, and even germs). Your car will smell so much cleaner and fresher when you have this unit.
Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier Review
The Alen Air Purifier BreatheSmart is considered one of the best air purifiers for dust removal. You have the option of choosing from a lot of colors when you decide to go for this unit – such as black, white, blue, green, pink, etc.
And if you want to know more about Alen BreatheSmart Air Purifiers, click here.
- HEPA-Pure Filtering System – It comes with a filter system that’s effective in cleaning dust and other allergy-causing particles in the air.
- Ionizer – It has an ionizer that further works in purifying the air from pollutants.
- SmartSensor Technology – The unit senses the quality of air in a room and adjusts itself automatically to clean the air.
- Filter Change Indicator – A light indicator will let you know if it’s time to change the filter.
This is a very powerful air purifier and it can handle air purification in large rooms of the house – like the living room. It can also monitor the air quality automatically, so that it can adjust the cleaning settings as needed. It may be quite expensive, but it’s well worth it.
GermGuardian AC5350B Elite 4-in-1 Digital Tower Air Purifier Review
- True HEPA Filtering System – It’s effective for filtering 99.97% of allergens and other microscopic elements in the air. It can filter pet dander, pollen, mold spores, dust, etc.
- Charcoal Filter Design – It comes with a filter that’s very effective in absorbing odor molecules from the air.
- UV-C Light Technology – It purifies the air by killing germs, bacteria, viruses, etc.
- Speed – It has 5 speeds for 5 levels of cleaning and purifying the air.
The Germguardian Elite has a very effective air cleaning system. Allergy suffers will surely find it useful because it’s a great air purifier for pet allergies and other forms of allergies as well.
AeraMax 100 Home Air Purifier for Allergies and Asthma Review
- True HEPA with antimicrobial treatment – It can filter 99.97% of microscopic elements that can cause allergies – such as pollen, pet dander, mold spores, etc. It is also effective in killing germs.
- AeraSmart Technology – Its patented AeraSmart technology allows it to monitor the quality of air in a room so that it can automatically adjust the air purifying settings on the device.
- Carbon Filter – Airborne particles that cause odors are absorbed and trapped in this filter.
- Ionizer – Its ionizer feature can be turned on and off as needed.
This model works well as an air purifier for pet allergies since it uses several methods of purification. Allergy sufferers will surely find relief when pollutants and allergens are filtered from the air. Just note that this model only works for small to medium sized rooms – so, it would only work great as a room air purifier.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier Review
This Winix air purifier model 5300-2 is for home and office use. You can get it in silver color. Winix air purifiers are one of the best brand in the air purifier industry and if you wish to check out some more, click here.
- True HEPA Filtering Technology – It’s 99.97% effective in purifying the air from pet dander, pollen, dust, dust mites, and other irritating particles that can trigger allergy attacks.
- Carbon Pre-Filter – This prolongs the life of the HEPA filter by filtering large particles of allergens and dust from the environment.
- PlasmaWave System – It can filter odor causing particles and allergens in the air on a molecular level.
- SmartSensor – It can gauge the quality of air and adjust the fan speed and cleaning level to purify the air from pollutants and allergens.
This home air purifier can clean the air from dust, pet dander, pollen, smoke, and other allergens. You can use it in large rooms since it’s very powerful. It also comes with multi-stage air filtering system.
Oransi Max Air Purifier Review
- V-HEPA Filtering System – It comes with a filter system that’s 98% effective in purifying the air from dust, allergens, pollutants, and germs.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The pre-filter works in trapping odor causing particles.
- Pre-Filter Design – Having a pre-filter can prolong the life of the main filter (HEPA filter).
- Filter Indicator Light – The unit will alert you when a change of filter is needed.
This is definitely a full-featured air purifier and it will effectively clean and purify the air in a large room. You can, therefore, place it in your living room or any area in your house or office that needs air purifying.
Ivation Ozone Air Purifier, Ionizer & Deodorizer Review
The Ivation air purifier ozone and ionizer is for home and office use. It is best positioned 4 feet above the ground for a really efficient airflow. If you want it, know that it’s available in cherry red color only.
- Ionizer – This is an air purifier that uses an ionizer for the process of air purification.
- Ozone Generator – By releasing ozone into the air, odor from pets, food, mold and mildew can be neutralized.
- Construction – It is made of stainless steel.
- Operation – Running it continuously will improve the quality of air in your immediate environment.
If not for the ozone issue, this model of air purifier would have landed on a higher spot in this Top 12 list. As it is (with the issue on ozone production still under study), it’s still worth considering. Know, too, that you have the option of turning the ozone generator feature off.
Who are at Risk?
Needless to say, we are all at risk to the health problems associated with dust exposure because dust is literally everywhere. So, keep the following points in mind:
- Anyone who is exposed to dust is at risk (including you and me).
- Exposure to low level household dust is not that dangerous.
- People with existing lung problems have higher risks of worsening their health conditions when exposed to dust.
- The elderly, young children and babies are particularly at risk to overexposure to dust because their body resistance is not that strong.
Will an Air Purifier Reduce Dust?
Yes – an air purifier will help in reducing dust from your indoor environment. As particles of dust are sucked in by an air purifier, less dust will fall on top of tables, chairs, shelves, and on the floor.
Most air purifiers employ the use of filters – and a True HEPA filter is the most effective in cleaning the air of dust particles.
How an Air Purifier Works
An air purifier is equipped with a fan – and this works in circulating air in an enclosed environment. As air is pulled into the filtering system, dust particles are also sucked in and trapped in the filter.
Clean air then passes through the filter and is released back into the room.Through the continuous operation, the air quality in a particular room or area will improve. While it’s impossible to expect all the dust to disappear from the environment, you will notice a noticeable difference when you use an air purifier.
HEPA Filter Explained
Most (if not all) air purifiers today use HEPA filters. The best models to get are those that make use of True HEPA Filtration systems because this type of filter can purify the air from particles that measure as small as 0.3 microns – and it’s 99.97% effective at that.
Other HEPA filters are good, too – but they can only filter about 98 to 99% of microscopic particles. Since dust problem is a REALLY big problem, that 1 to 1.97% difference can be considered a big deal.
To truly benefit from a HEPA filter, consider the following points below:
- Clean the HEPA filter in your air purifier regularly, if it’s washable.
- If you want to extend the life of a HEPA filter, vacuum it regularly (so that it will not clog up from filtered microscopic elements).
- Replace the HEPA filter in your air purifier (video) if it’s already dirty (if not washable) or if it’s worn out.
Particles of Dust
It’s important to understand that dust and pollutants come in different sizes. Below is a guide that will give you an idea as to the size of dust.
- Human hair – about 80 to 100 microns.
- Pollen – about 30 microns
- Household dust – about 10 microns
- Pet dander – about 5 microns
- Dust – about 2.5 to 5 micronsSmoke particles – about 1 micron
Note: Particles that measure 0.3 to 40 microns are already invisible to the naked eye.
How to Reduce Dust in Your Home
Now that you know how big of a problem dust can really be, it’s time to reduce the amount of dust in your home. While it’s impossible to totally get rid of dust 100%, minimizing their presence is possible (and doable).
Consider doing the things listed below:Change your beddings (bed sheet, pillow cases, blankets) at least once a week.
These have already collected a lot of dead skin cells and are already feeding grounds for dust mites.
Refrain from using carpets and curtains. Such furnishings are dust collectors – it will be very hard to thoroughly clean them from dust particles even if you vacuum every day.
Which model is most suitable to your needs? Let me know by leaving a message below. You can also share this post with your friends to help them find the best air purifier for dust for them, too.