Since odor is a common problem in all households, getting the best air purifier for odors is one of the best solutions to this dilemma.
And I’m not talking about regular smells, here – I’m talking about unpleasant odors that can make you feel very uncomfortable in your immediate environment.
If you have allergies or asthma, exposure to unpleasant odors can also trigger allergy and asthma attacks. In fact, constant exposure to unpleasant smells can even cause respiratory problems.
Best Air Purifier For Odor Removal (January 2020): Top 12 Reviews
What Causes Odors ?
Having unpleasant odors in the air is a sign that your immediate environment is not that clean and healthy. You see, most unpleasant odors are the result of having odor-causing bacteria in the air. Elements that cause these bad odors are obviously unhealthy and they can make you sick.
Sure, you can mask unpleasant odors with oil burners, scented candles, air fresheners, and the like. However, these products are only meant to cover the bad smells in the air – not to eliminate the real cause of the odors. And as we all know, covering up bad odors means that the disease-causing elements are still in the air – and you can still breathe them in without even realizing it.
Choosing an Air Purifier for Odor Control
Types of Odors that an Air Purifier Can Get Rid of
Listed below are some of the most common odors found in every home. All of these smells are unwelcomed in homes but are nevertheless unavoidable.
A lot of homes have pets. People love living with their pets and most pets are allowed to stay inside (and even roam around) the house.
The truth is most pets smell, even when well-groomed and well-maintained.
click here to read the reviews of air purifier for pets.
While food generally smells good, there are foods that are not that pleasant-smelling such as:
Fish scent (whether cooked or uncooked)
- Burned food
- Strong smelling spices
click here to read reviews about how to get rid of cooking smells.
Garbage has its own distinctive (unpleasant smell) and it can also be the breeding ground for germs.
By getting an air purifier that especially works in purifying the air from odors, you will not only be getting rid of the bad smells of trash but all those odor-causing germs as well.
Nurseries should smell good because sweet little babies occupy them. But if you have baby diapers in the trash can, the room can smell really bad.
You can also imagine the germs and microbes present in the room when there’s stinky smell coming from used diapers.
Aside from the practice of disposing of baby diapers quickly and properly, having an air purifier in your baby’s room will always ensure that your child is not exposed to disease-causing germs (those that cause odors, in the first place).
TOP 12 RATED AIR PURIFIER FOR ODOR REMOVAL REVIEWS
Germ Guardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Purifier Review
- True HEPA Filter – Its main filter is 99.97% effective in purifying the air from contaminants and pollutants up to 0.3 microns in size.
- Charcoal Filter – It has a dedicated filter for absorbing odors and odor-causing microbes in the air.
- UV-C Light – This feature is useful in killing germs, bacteria, and viruses in the air.
- Speed – It has 3 speeds for cleaning the air from pollutants.
This unit is effective in odor control because it has a charcoal carbon filter. It’s also useful in filtering dust and other pollutants in the air because it comes with a True HEPA filter.
GermGuardian GG1000 Pluggable Air Purifier and Sanitizer Review
- UV-C Light – Radiation for the UV light can kill odor-causing germs as well as mold and mildew.
- Design – Just plug it into a wall outlet for it to start operating.
- Fan Technology – The unit sucks in polluted air and releases clean air.
- Night Light – The night light feature can be dimmed.
For an air purifier against odors, you can use this model in small rooms such as the nursery and bathroom. You can also plug it near pet areas or anywhere with stinky smells. Because of its limited capacity, it’s not an air purifier for whole house use.
Hamilton Beach TrueAir 04532GM Desktop Air Purifier Review
It’s available in only one color – which is white.
- Carbon Filters – It has 3 layers of carbon filters for a very effective odor control system.
- Carbon is also a very effective air purifier for a smoke.Scent Cartridge (Optional) – You can use a fragrance cartridge to fill the air with your favorite scent.
- Speed – It has 2 speeds (high and low) for the air purification process.
- Area Coverage – This unit is suitable for use in small rooms.
This model uses carbon filters as the main purifying system – and it’s very effective in absorbing bad odors from the air. This is a good option when looking for an air purifier for odors.
Activated Charcoal Odor Absorber and Air Purifier by Sagano Review
It’s not like any of the products featured in this Top 12 list, but it can really help you with odor control.
- Design – It’s a natural odor absorber.
- Uses – This type of air purifier is effective in removing odor from the air as well as mold spores, gaseous substances, and other types of molecular contaminants.
- Multi-Functional Design – It can be used to freshen the air in rooms, corners, closets and refrigerators.
- Life Span – It can last for up to 2 years. Laying it out in the sun will recharge it and clean it from the substances it has previously absorbed.
Since this air purifier is not that powerful, it’s not suitable as a whole house deodorizer. However, you can buy several units and position them around your home. Having them around will surely help in keeping your immediate environment smelling clean all the time.
Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator Air Purifier and Deodorizer Review
- Ozone Producer – It releases ozone at 4,000mg/ hr. It’s powerful enough to be called an air odor eliminator machine.
- Power – 55 watts.
- Timer – It comes with a 2-hour timer.
- Design – This unit is effective in fighting odor, odor-causing elements, bacteria, viruses, etc.
This commercial model of ozone air purifier is very effective in removing odors and other pollutants in the air. However, it uses high levels of ozone – which is dangerous to health. Therefore, it’s only suitable for shock treatment procedures and not for regular use. If you sense that your air purifier smells like plastic, it means that there are still ozone gas particles in the air.
Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier Review
This unit is available in white body case with different color options on the front – some of the colors include black, white, blue, pink, green, gray, etc.
- HEPA-Type Filter – It comes with a HEPA main filter for purifying the air from allergens, dust, mold spores, etc.
- Activated Carbon Filter – The HEPA filter is wrapped in a carbon pre-filter to prolong its life. It also works effectively in absorbing all kinds of smells in the air.
- Ionizer – The built-in ionizer has its own control system. You can turn it on and off as you require.
- SmartSensor Technology – The unit can detect the air quality in a particular room and can adjust its cleaning speed to purify the air from pollution.
This unit is effective in removing odor from the air because it uses a carbon filter and an ionizer in the air purification process. It can also filter pollutants in the air and is suitable for ?use in very large rooms?.
Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 SPA-550A Air Purifier Review
The Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 SPA-550A air purifier is another stand-alone model of air purifier and it can also rid the air of odors. This is a good option for an air purifier for home use and office use as well.
Right now, this unit is only available in one color – white.
- BioGS HEPA Filter – This filter works like a True HEPA filter and is effective in purifying the air from 0.3-micron sized particles.
- Activated Carbon Filter – It uses a carbon filter for odor absorption. It’s also effective in absorbing odor-causing elements in the air.
- Pre-Filter – It comes with a permanent (washable) pre-filter.
- Ionizer – The unit comes with a built-in ionizer feature for additional air purification.
This model uses activated charcoal carbon filter which is very effective in absorbing odors and odor-causing germs. The built-in ionizer is likewise effective in keeping the air fresh and clean. And since it’s very powerful, it’s suitable for use in large rooms (and works even more effectively in smaller rooms).
PeakPlus PPAIR6281 Car Air Purifier Review
If you’re problematic about unpleasant odors in your vehicle, the PeakPlus PPAIR6281 Car Air Purifier makes for a perfect choice in an air purifier for the car. You can get it in silver color.
- Ionizer – It uses an ionizer as the main air purification system. Negative ions in the air are effective for germ and odor control.
- Design – Just plug the unit in a 12-volt cigarette lighter.
- LED Indicator Light – A blue light is visible when the air purifier is working.
- Operation – To turn the unit on, just plug it in. To turn it off, just unplug it from the cigarette lighter.
This model is not a very powerful air purifier – it can only purify the air in a small contained area (such as the insides of a car). As an ionizer, this model is effective in cleaning the air in your car from odor, allergens, bacteria and more.
Austin Air Systems Healthmate HM-400 Air Purifier Review
Should you decide to get it, you have the option of choosing from a wide range of colors like black, silver, white, etc.
- Certified HEPA Filter – It uses the main filter that’s 99.97 effective in cleaning the air from microscopic particles (as small as 0.3 microns).
- Activated Carbon with Zeolite – Using natural minerals as filters enable the unit to effectively absorb odors, gasses, chemicals, VOCs, and molecular elements in the air.
- Medium Pre-Filter – This pre-filter can clean the air from small to medium sized particles (including pollen and mold spores).
- Large Pre-Filter – It uses a filter that catches large particles of pollutants in the air (such as pet hair and dust).
I like this model of air purifier because it comes with a 4-stage filtration process. Its combination of carbon and zeolite filter makes it very effective in eliminating all types of odors in the environment. And since it’s equipped with other types of filters, it’s also effective in filtering the air from pollutants and contaminants. In my opinion, it’s the best all-around air filter and a good air purifier for allergies as well.
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier Review
It comes with air purifying features that are effective in removing odors in the air. Right now, this unit can only be purchased in one color – black.
- True HEPA Filter – It uses the best type of air purifier for dust, pollen, and other types of allergens.
- Carbon Filter – A permanent (washable) pre-filter that’s made of carbon makes it very effective in absorbing unpleasant smells in the air.
- PlasmaWave Technology – It comes with an ionizer feature that’s effective in odor and pollution control.
- SmartSensor System – The unit is capable of monitoring a room’s air quality in real time so that it can adjust its cleaning power accordingly.
- Speeds – It comes with 4 speeds equivalent to 4 cleaning powers.
You need to buy a new HEPA filter when it’s already dirty and worn out. For a unit with 3 stages of air purification, this model is very effective not only in eliminating odors from the air – but also in cleaning the environment of pollutants.
Rowenta PU4020 Intense Air Purifier Review
The Rowenta PU4020 Intense Air Purifier is a stand-alone model of air purifier. It makes for another good option when looking out to buy an air purifier for odor. As of this writing, this unit is only available in white color.
- True HEPA Filter – It makes use of the best type of HEPA filter for purifying the air from pollutants and contaminants.
- Nano Capture Filter Technology – This type of filter is effective in absorbing chemicals from cleaning products, paints, and similar gaseous substances in the air.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Odors and odor-causing germs are captured by this filter.
- Pre-Filter – A permanent pre-filter serves as the first line of defense for filtering large particles of airborne pollutants.
This portable type of air purifier is very powerful – it’s a good air purifier for a large room. It’s also very easy to transfer from one area to another.
OION LB-8001 5-in-1 Air Purifier Review
- True HEPA Filter – It’s equipped with a main filter that’s effective in capturing very small particles of pollutants in the air.
- Ionizer – This feature is effective in keeping the air odor-free and germ-free as well.
- UV-C Light – Airborne microbes are destroyed when exposed to the radiation of this light. It’s also an effective air purifier for mold.
- Photo Catalytic Oxidation (PCO Filter) – This feature helps in killing airborne microbes.
Since this model has an adjustable area coverage, you can use it to purify the air in just one room in your house or the whole house. And should you find that the air purifier smells funny, it’s probably because of the ozone gas (avoid this scenario as exposure to ozone gas is dangerous)?
Lastly, I would suggest using an all-around charcoal odor absorber. You can use this in conjunction with other air purifiers because it’s not a very powerful air purifier anyway. Still, it’s effective in its own little way – and it’s very affordable. These units also work for several years, that’s why they’re really practical to have around. In fact, you can also use this as a car air freshener/ deodorizer.
You can also place it in closets, cabinets, and refrigerators – anywhere you want to keep odor-free. By now, I’m sure you already made up your mind about which product (or products to buy). Do let me know if your problems with unpleasant smells have been solved – the comment section is located just below this post.
And as usual, I encourage sharing this article with your friends who are also looking for the best air purifier for odors. This will surely help them pick a model that’s most suitable to their needs.