Best Air Purifier For Pets 2018-2019: Filter All The Pet Hairs, Odors, and Dander
What is the Best Air Purifier for Pets?
We all love our pets – dogs, cats, birds, guinea pigs, hamsters, and what have you. But you need the best air purifier for pets – if you want to remain healthy and comfortable living with them.
Aside from doing your regular routine in taking care of your pets to keep them and your family healthy and happy, you can also use an air purifier to make your job easier.I know it’s not easy to find the best air purifier for your pets, as there are hundreds of products out there.
But I will trim down your choices to only a few – and I will present you with the Top 12 air purifiers that are most suitable for pet owners.
Best Air Purifier For Pets 2018: Editor's 12 Picks & Reviews
TOP 12 RATED AIR PURIFIERS FOR PETS
O-Ion B-1000 Ionic Air Purifier Review
- Power – It operates on 7.5 watts.
- Ionizer – The ionizer function works well in combatting allergens and pollutants in the air. It’s effective in purifying the air from pet dander and pet odors.
- Carbon filter – It comes with a washable charcoal filter that’s useful in absorbing odor molecules.
- Ozone Generator – It releases ozone to fight pet odors and airborne microbes.
Pet owners will like this model because it’s effective in purifying the air from pet dander and pet smells. However, since it doesn’t come with a HEPA filter, it won’t help so much in cleaning your home environment from pet hair.
Hamilton Beach 04384 True Air Purifier Review
The Hamilton Beach 04384 model can be one of your options when choosing an air purifier for pets. If you want it, you can get it in only 1 color – white.
- Permanent HEPA Filter Technology – This model is 99% effective in cleaning the air from small particles of pollutants like pet dander and pollen.
- Carbon Filter – It comes with 2 replaceable carbon filters that are very effective in filtering odor-causing particles in the air.
- Pre-Filter Design – There’s a pre-filter that works in trapping large particles of allergens and pollutants like pet hair, lint, etc.
- Speed – It has 3 speeds corresponding to 3 levels of cleaning power.
This is a good model of air purifier, but it’s not that powerful. It works on pet hair, pet dander and pet odor and is suitable for small to medium sized rooms (children’s room, pet area, etc.).
GermGuardian GG1000 Pluggable Air Sanitizer and Odor Reducer Review
At the Top 10 slot is the Germguardian GG1000 pluggable air purifier. This is a small, pluggable model that works well as room air purifier. It’s available in the color of white.
- UV-C Light Technology – It emits light that’s capable of cleaning and purifying the air from odor-causing particles. It can also kill airborne germs that can cause diseases to humans and animals.
- Operation – Just plug it into a wall outlet and it will immediately start working.
- Speed – It has 1 fan speed.
- Multi-Functional Design – It’s designed to work in cleaning the air from pollutants like pet smells, germs, and microbes.
This is a good air sanitizer and purifier. You can put it in pet areas and small rooms that need low level air purification.
I don’t recommend putting it in the bedroom because it’s quite loud during operation.
Honeywell HFD-120-Q QTower Air Purifier Review
If you’re specifically looking for a tower type air purifier, the Honeywell air purifier HFD-120-Q can be one of your options. Right now, it’s only available in 1 color – black.
- Permanent HEPA Filter – It uses a permanent, washable filter that’s 99% effective in purifying the air from pollutants and allergens (pet dander, dust, pollen, dust mite excretions, etc.)
- Oscillation System – The oscillation feature has an on/ off control.
- Speed – It has 3 speeds for 3 levels of air purification.
- Ozone Generator – It uses ozone as one of its air purifying methods.
This model would make a fine choice in air purifier if you have pets in your home.
The HEPA filter is 99% effective in filtering pet dander which can cause allergy and other health problems.
GermGuardian AC5250PT 3-in-1 Tower Review
The Germguardian air purifier model AC5250PT is a tower type unit that’s suitable for people with pets. You can get it in the color black.
- True HEPA Filter System – It’s 99.97% effective in purifying the air from allergens and pollutants like pet hair, pet dander, dust, dust mites, dust mite excretions, pollen, etc.
- Pet Pure Treatment – A specialized antimicrobial treatment is added to the filter system to kill odor causing bacteria as well as mold and mildew.
- Charcoal Filter – This filter is effective in absorbing pet odor, smoke, cooking smells, etc.
- UV-C Light Technology – Germs that are floating in the air can be effectively killed when this feature is turned on.
If you own cats and dogs, this would be one of your best options. It’s an effective air purifier for dust, pet hair, and pet dander. It can purify medium to large size rooms.
Rabbit Air SPA-700A MinusA2 HEPA Review
As the Top 1 model in this Top 12 list, this Rabbit Air SPA-700A Minus A2 air purifier is one of your best options when choosing a unit for home use. It’s currently available in 2 colors – black and white.
- HEPA Filtration System – It comes with 6 stages of air purification that also involves deodorization.
- Installation – You have the option of setting it up on the floor, putting it on your desk, or mounting it to the wall (the package includes a wall mounting kit).
- Night Light – It has a night light that can be turned on and off.
- Multi-Functional Design – It works in purifying air from different types of particles (visible and microscopic).
Since this Rabbit Air air purifier uses HEPA filtration system, it’s effective in cleaning your home from pet hair, pet dander, and pet odor. It also works in filtering other pollutants and odor-causing germs. Overall, it’s an effective air purifier for allergies associated with pets.
Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Review
The Winix air purifier WAC9500 is a very powerful type of air filter. It’s currently available in white color.
- True HEPA Filter System – This model uses the best hepa air purifier for pet allergies and pet dander. It’s 99.97% effective in cleaning the air of pet hair, pet odor, and germs. It can also filter the environment from other small (microscopic) contaminants and pollutants.
- Carbon Filter Design – A washable carbon filter is included in the unit’s design for odor control.
- Pre-Filter System – A pre-filter is set to catch large particles of pollutants like pet fur and feathers.
- PlasmaWave Technology – It can kill bacteria, viruses, and other types of germs on a molecular level.
I like this model of air purifier because it has multiple purifying and filtering stages. It’s one of your best options as a pet owner.
Envion Therapure TPP240 Air Purifier Tower Review
Here’s another tower type air purifier to consider if you’re a pet owner. You can get this Envion Therapure air purifier in black color.
- Permanent HEPA-type Filter System – This model has a filter that’s effective in filtering allergens (pet dander, pollen, mold spores, etc.) and other small particles in the air (fur, dust, smoke, etc.).
- UV Germicidal Light Technology – This light can kill germs and bacteria in the air
- Ionizer – This model is an ionic air purifier. It comes with an ionizer feature with its own on/off control.
- Speed – It has 3 speeds and 3 levels of air purification.
This model is suitable for small to medium sized rooms. It’s filtering system can prove to be helpful for people with pets at home.
Ivation Ozone Air Purifier and Ionizer Review
Best for home use, this model of Ivation ozone air purifier can be one of your choices if you’re a pet owner. It comes in the beautiful color of red.
- Ionizer – Its air ionizer feature allows for the release of negative ions in the air to purify it from pet dander and other odor-causing pollutants.
- Ozone Generator – You can use this feature if you want ozone to purify your environment from pet smells and disease-causing germs.
- Construction – The unit comes with a stainless steel cabinet and cherry wood parts.
- Multi-Functional System – It’s effective in purifying air from pet smells, pet dander, smoke, and different types of allergens.
In spite of this model’s flaws (check on the cons), I still like it somehow. However, I don’t like the ozone generator feature, so I simply suggest that you don’t use it.
Sort of Coal - Activated Charcoal Kuro Cube Air Purifier and Deodorizer Tower Review
The Sort of Coal cube deodorizer is a disposable block of charcoal air purifier. You can get it in black and white (combination) color.
- Construction – It’s made of white charcoal powder, which is a high-quality type of charcoal.
- Function – This air purifier is capable of absorbing odor, moisture and gas components in the air.
- Operation – Just place it on any surface and it will already start working.
- Design – It looks like a block or a cube, making it look like a decorative item.
I really like this air purifier because it’s cheap and it’s very effective in absorbing odor from the environment. If you have pets, you know odor control is very important, right?
5 Pack - Bamboo Activated Charcoal Air Freshener and Purifier Bags Review
The Bamboo activated charcoal air purifier bags also work as air fresheners and deodorizers. As of this writing, it comes in a pack of 5 gray-colored bags.
- Set – The package includes 2 large charcoal bags, 1 medium charcoal bag, and 2 small charcoal bags.
- Operation – The large charcoal bags can be placed in large rooms while the medium-sized bag can be used in areas with enclosed spaces. The small bags, on the other hand, can be used in the vehicle as car air fresheners.
- Materials – The linen bags contain activated charcoal from bamboo.
- Odor Absorber – This is very effective in absorbing odor and odor-causing molecules from the air.
While the charcoal bags are not that useful for filtering pet hair and pet dander from the air, they’re very useful in absorbing pet odors. This is one of your best options when choosing an air purifier for pet smells (all pet owners will appreciate a cheap deodorizer any day).
Health Problems Associated with Pets
Asthma and allergy are just 2 of the most common health problems associated with owning pets (especially if your pets have fur or feathers).
Below are just some of the symptoms that you can experience when you have a pet (or pets).
Difficulty in breathing
Sneezing and coughing
Itchy eyes and skin
Watery eyes and runny nose
Needless to say, the above symptoms are not really life threatening – but they will make you feel very uncomfortable. Also, prolonged exposure to the things you are sensitive to will weaken your immune system and cause you to get really sick.
And I mean really sick – because you can develop lung and heart problems in the long run just because you’re living with your lovable pets.Getting an air purifier to clean the air from pollutants brought about by your pets is very important.
And yes, it’s one of the most effective solutions in situations like this. Just think of it this way, if you have pets (especially the furry and feathered ones) you need 2 major cleaning appliances – a vacuum cleaner and an air purifier.I assume you already have a vacuum cleaner.
So, for this post, I will concentrate on informing you about the benefits of having an air purifier that’s specifically intended for pet owners.
Pet Hair Vs. Pet Dander
If you have dogs and cats, you are probably dealing with a lot of pet hair (this is visible). What you don’t know is that you are also exposing yourself to pet dander (this is microscopic and invisible to the naked eyes).Pet dander is more dangerous to your health because you can’t see them.
These specks of dead skin cells that fall along with pet hair end up on the floor, your furniture, and on your clothes. However, as light microscopic elements, they can also float in the air and get inhaled by the people in your home.
Take note, cats and dogs are not the only sources of pet dander – birds, guinea pigs, and hamsters also add pet dander into your breathing air. So, both pet hair and pet dander are considered to be sources of health problems.
How an Air Purifier Can Help with Pet Hair, Pet Dander and Pet Odor Problems
Air purifiers come with different filtering and air purifying methods that are proven to work. Listed below are some important points to using an air purifier in your home.
- Some models of air purifiers use filters to purify the air. This method works by filtering allergens (like pet dander) from the air and trapping them into the filter. Clean and purified air is then released back into the room. For this method, the most effective filter to use is a True HEPA filter. However, HEPA-type and HEPA-grade filters work almost just as well, too.
- Air purifiers can carry carbon filters. This type of filter is effective in absorbing odor and trapping odor-causing molecules in the filtering system. This type of filter works well in getting rid of pet smells in your home.
- Pre-Filter – Having pre-filters will extend the life of the main filter. By trapping large particles of dust and pollutants (like visible pet hair), the main filter will simply need to handle the really small (microscopic) particles (such as pet dander).
- Ionizer – Ionizers are now accepted as effective anti-pollutants as they can purify the air by releasing negative ions. Although not that effective in purifying the air from pet hair, it works well for pet dander and germs that may lurk around in pet areas. Most air purifiers now have built-in ionizers included in their construction.
- Ozone Generator – Ozone generators are also effective as air purifiers because producing ozone will clean the air from pollutants, contaminants and germs. Your home will surely smell fresh and clean after an ozone purification. However, studies show that ozone gas is toxic to humans and pets – so think twice about using air purifiers that produce ozone.
Advantages of Using an Air Purifier
If you are a pet owner, you will appreciate the following benefits from an air purifier:
- Smelly cages and pet odors can be greatly reduced, if not totally eliminated.
- Your home will smell fresh and clean – and it will truly be clean from pollutants and germs.
- You will have a healthy environment in your home because you will be breathing in clean air.
- Aside from filtering visible hair (if you’re using an air purifier with filter), it’s also effective in cleaning the air from odor and disease-causing germs.
- You won’t need to clean as often because some of the dust and small particles that usually float around your house will be captured by the air purifier.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Air Purifier for Pets
To find an air purifier that will work for you as a pet owner, consider the following factors listed below.
• Look at the air purifier’s filtering system. It should use HEPA – a True HEPA is the best since it’s 99.97% effective in trapping very small particles. Other HEPA-type and HEPA-grade filters are only effective 98% to 99%. Having a carbon filter is also important since this is very effective in purifying the air from odor and odor-causing particles.
• Know the size of your house or room and choose an air purifier that can effectively purify the intended space. If necessary, get several units and place them in different areas and rooms in your house (especially those places where there are pets).
• Consider an ionizer feature. I don’t advise using just an ionizer for purifying pet areas and homes with pets. However, having this feature added in a filter type air purifier would prove to be useful (it’s very effective for odor and germ control).
• Consider an ozone generator – In spite of the health issues associated with the use of ozone, more study is needed to establish the facts as to whether exposure to ozone is safe or not. In my opinion, it’s better to play it safe and simply avoid using this feature in an air purifier.
Does an Air Purifier Really Work?
Yes, an air purifier really works – and getting the best air purifier for pets will keep you healthy and comfortable while living with your beloved animals. In the next section, you will see concise reviews of 12 models of the best air purifiers for pets today.
Last Updated on by