Best Bench Grinder: Top 10 Rated Bench Grinders You Need To Know About
Are you looking for a tool that is able to cut, shape, sharpen large tools? Then you are looking for a tool none other than a good and efficient bench grinder. It is a piece of equipment that is used in any home workshops. However, there are a lot of varieties available in the market and choosing the best one might be a hard task to do.
Find out the top 10 best in our list.
Best Bench Grinder (May 2019): Top 10 Picks & Reviews
Types of Grinders
- Bench-top grinders – these grinders are powerful and sturdy that are secured to a bench for you have a complete and maximum control over the grinders. These grinders have two grinding wheels to provide maximum grinding performance.
- Portable grinders – the portable grinders are available as angle grinders and die grinders. They are smaller than the bench grinders and are commonly used for final shaping and final touch-ups.
- Angle grinders – these grinders are versatile. They are excellent in smoothing, sharpening, cutting and sanding materials.
- Die grinders – these grinders are designed for one-hand operation. They come with smaller blades compare to other types of grinders. However, when it comes to speed, they are often speedier and quicker to finish the tasks. They are also good to use for tight spaces and they are ideal for precise engraving or shaping any materials.
Types of Bench Grinder
There are two types of bench grinder – the ones that are sized 8 inches and the ones that are 6 inches.
- 6 inches - these grinders move at standard speeds. They have enough power to work tasks especially home tasks. They mostly run within 4 amps and in around 3400 to 3600 RPM.
- 8 inches – these grinders are mostly considered to be more powerful than the 6 inches. If you are doing some extensive work, these grinders might provide you the exact power. They can be slower but can provide a good performance
Even if generally, 8 inches grinders are considered to be more powerful than the 6 inches grinders, you need to take note that this is not always the case. Some 8 inches grinders might be less efficient than other 6 inches grinders. The trick here is to study the features and powers before deciding to buy any grinders. Do not just rely on the size of the tools
Benefits of Using a Bench Grinder
- Most of the people would associate grinders for tools sharpening. One of its primary use is for sharpening larger objects.
- Aside from sharpening, these tools can be effectively used for shaping and honing materials such as metals.
- These tools are also used for deburring any rusts and castings on materials. It is also perfect for dressing any rugged steel or any metal materials. Overall, the tools are good and efficient in any metal projects.
- For more efficient and convenient use, you can add different wheels on a bench grinder. You can install them to either clean, sharpen, polish, or shape any metal or other materials.
Things to Consider Before Buying
When you want to buy the best grinders, you should not rely heavily on the prize of the tools. Buying expensive grinders doesn’t mean you are buying the best and most efficient grinders in the market.
In getting the best grinders, you need to consider the things that would suit your preferences.
- What would be the use of the tool? Decide what you will use the tool for.
- If you are going to use it in for sharpening metals or for rusted objects, you need to find a grinder that is durable enough to withstand these difficult objects.
- Make sure that the wheels are durable and work with the wheel you have in your mind. This is the most important part of a grinder, make sure you are considering it well. Fine grit grinding wheels, buffing, coarse, and wire brush wheels are the most common in the markets.
- One thing you need to consider is the motor and its power. This is another significant component aside from the grinder’s wheels. Generally, stronger motors are associated with bigger motors. However, again, this is not always the case.
Make sure that you buy a motor that you can afford and that can provide you a good and efficient power in your projects. This is sometimes measured by how fast your grinder can do the job – by means of RPM. The higher the RPM is, the faster it does the task.
- Be practical. If you will not use the grinders for heavy duty tasks and for other bigger materials, and just want to use it for home projects purposes, buy a standard bench grinder. If you are professional and needs to use it for more complex grinding, then get a more powerful and bigger grinder tool.
TOP 10 RATED BENCH GRINDER REVIEWS
WEN 4276 6-Inch Bench Grinder Review
This bench grinder is one of the top selling bench grinders in online markets. It is very lightweight and compact allowing you to operate even in tight areas.
Tt is also very mobile and portable. It has a 2.1 amp motor that can grind up to a rotation speed of 3,450 RMP.
It is also designed with a work light for you t operate even in dim places. It comes with 2 years warranty.
Overall, this is the best candidate when you want a very efficient standard bench grinder. It offers fast and good performance for smaller grinding projects.
WEN 4286 8-Inch Slow Speed Bench Grinder Review
This WEN 4286 tool is excellent for deburring ragged edges, for cleaning and sharpening objects. It comes in an 8 inches size to accommodate larger objects and comes in slow speed. It is also compact to fit any residence projects and is powerful enough to give a good performance.
Overall, the machine, like what’s on this list, is one of the highest functional tools you can see in the market. However, this tool is not ideal for high-duty projects because it only has a 1750 RPM.
WEN 4280 5 Amp 8" Variable Speed Bench Grinder Review
This is an another version of the WEN 4286. This comes with a variable speed unlike to the one mentioned above. It has a horsepower up to 3400 excellent for heavy duty tasks. It also has a 5-amp variable speed motor.
The tool also comes with 80-grit, 36-grit grinding wheel and is very flexible because it has a light attached to it.
You are able to operate even at night or in dim places. It also comes with a sturdy base that makes the tool more durable.
Overall, the tool is an excellent choice for grinding, polishing objects. It grinds objects fast with its powerful RPM.
DEWALT DW758 8-Inch Bench Grinder Review
This tool is made wider for you to grind, or work in larger objects. With this tool, you can: polish, sharpen, remove rust, cut tools. It is also designed to work in very difficult materials such as hard and abusive metals.
It has a cast iron base and a motor housing that can last longer than other brands. It also has an RPM of 3500. Its case also makes the tool durable.
Overall, the tool is one of the bests. However, compare to the DEWALT 6 inches, there is no much difference that you can see when it comes to its performance. I would still probably opt for the DEWALT 6 inches.
DEWALT DW756 6-Inch Bench Grinder Review
This tool might be very small which is perfect for any residential application, but its motor is very powerful.
It can outrun any standard commercial machine in the market. Aside from it is made from a trusted company, the tool itself is indeed proven to be one of the bests grinders customers need.
It has an RPM of – 3500 and is designed with a 5/8 hp induction motor. It also has two six inches wheel that has a distance of 12 ½ inches to allow you to grind larger objects. When it comes to convenience, this DEWALT tool is compact and easy to use and clean.
Overall this is the best 6 inches bench grinder in the market. However, if you are looking for a more powerful product, check out the 8 inches DEWALT grinder.Pros
JET 577102 JBG-8A 8-Inch Bench Grinder Review
This grinder is surely a good choice too. It is lightweight even though it is an 8inch sized grinder. It is also capable of handling heavy duty projects.
It is also designed to be safe because it gives you the control to maneuver the instruments according to your preferences.
It also comes with a mounted iron stand comes with a manual with multiple languages. It has pre-lubricated ball bearings and 5/8 inches spindle.
Overall, the tool gets the job done. It is also lightweight compared to other tools. This makes the tool easy to handle and use during operation.
Craftsman 9-21154 Variable Speed 6-Inch Grinding Center Review
It has a variable speed that lets you adjust the speed according to your preferences or the type of materials you are working with. The speed can be set from 2000 to 3400 RPM using a dial.
It also has an adjustable tool that has patented attachments and a wire wheel. It also has a 2.5 amp motor which is great to accommodate the 3400 max RPM of the tool.
Overall, the product is a good pick because it has a powerful RPM that range up to 3400. You can also adjust the power and it is one of the best grinders that provides precision when it comes to sharpening objects. However, some claim it is noisy.
Baldor 662R 6-Inch 1/3-Horsepower Industrial Duty Big Red Grinder Review
This machine is powered by an 115 Volt with a horsepower of 1/3 motor. The RPM is also powerful which range up to 3600 RPM. This is for the industrial-duty machine and has compiled the standards of OSHA.
It has two pieces of adjustments - vertical and horizontal. It can also rest at a different angle. The company also offers 3 years warranty for customers.
Overall, this tool is designed for heavy duty projects with its powerful features and motors. This is another good pick aside from the DEWALT 6inches.
Craftsman 9-21124 1/6 Horsepower 6-Inch Bench Grinder Review
It has a thin-line motor housing that makes grinding longer materials easy. It is also equipped with an illuminating light to make operations even at night or in dim places.
It has a 1/6 horsepower grinder that is a good choice.
It is also equipped with 36 and 60 grit for grinding variety. The base is made of cast Iron to make it more durable from destruction during operation.
Overall, the tool is a good choice. However, there is no clear indication of its RPM in the stores where it can be bought. Speed is measured through grits.
BALDOR 600E Bench Grinder Review
The baldor tool is designed for general purpose grinding. It can grind, shape objects, remove materials, or sharpen small tools.It has an aluminum wheel guards and it has rubber feet to minimize the vibration all grinding tool create. The ON/OFF switch is on the base part and it is UL listed.
This tool is good for heavy duty projects because it has an RPM of 3,600 and comes with a power cord. However, the item cannot be located in the Amazon. You need to go to other online markets or to their own store to buy the tool.