Best Deck Paint That Will Create Beautiful Long-Lasting Deck (October 2019): Top 5 Picks & Reviews
I’m sure you’d agree with me when I say that one of the best things in life is being able to go out at your deck, sit and relax there or maybe spend some time with your friends while enjoying a BBQ in a warm afternoon. But if your deck is not looking its best, are you sure about inviting everyone over?
Do you find your deck to be your pride and joy of your backyard as a crafter? Then it only makes sense to use the best deck paint; it’s a way of giving it the perfect finishing touch. It can fix the problem for you by making sure that your deck is looking just the way you want it to be, whether it’s a bright, fun color, a simple stain or whatever that you want.
To help you come up with the best decision, I have listed down below my top choices of deck paint available to make sure your deck will stand out. Please keep on reading below.
top 5 best Deck Paint reviews
1. KILZ L573611 Interior/Exterior Enamel Porch and Patio Latex Floor Paint
• It provides a low-luster finish that will apply smoothly and evenly on surfaces
• It will not cover sufficiently in one coat, you will need to apply two coats to make the job look good
• It is easy to clean and features a mildew-resistant film
• It’s a highly durable paint that can withstand cracking, peeling, fading and scuffing in variable conditions
• It dries-to-the-touch within just one hour and you will only need 72 hours so you can normally use the area again
KILZ has been known to be the maker of premium paints and primers. It has been a favorite by both professionals and do-it-yourselfers for 40 years already and it always gets the job done right; no wonder why it has been named to be the Paint Brand of the Year in 2015 in the Harris Poll EquiTrend Rankings.
Anyway, one of its best products is this interior and exterior enamel porch and patio latex floor paint. One gallon of this paint can cover about 200 to 300 square feet of rough surface and 300 to 400 square feet of smooth surface. It ticks all the box of a good deck paint: it’s long lasting, durable and easy to maintain. It has a finish that is mildew resistant and has been formulated to endure variable weather conditions.
This paint actually has a low-luster finish that makes it ideal for your deck as well as your porch or patio. You can also choose from two neutral colors, slate gray and silver gray.
2. KILZ Over Armor Textured Wood/Concrete Coating
• It features an innovative solid color coating that can bring your old weathered wood as well as concrete back to life.
• Its Redwood color is not dark red brick color but rather looks like a red-orange. Some customers complained they were not able to use it.
• It can bridge cracks and hide away any imperfections
• It uses an advanced 100% acrylic resin formula which is highly durable
Here's another amazing deck paint from KILZ. This one gallon can of textured paint bring your old weather wood concrete back to life. You can choose from three different popular colors, Chocolate Brown, Red Wood, and Slate Gray and all of these are made from an advanced 100% acrylic resin formula.
As a result, you will have a paint that can give you a great surface to hide all of the imperfections, cover cracks and gives an even look to your old worn wood and concrete. This paint has actually be designed to hide splinters and cracks up to 1/4-inch and what’s even more, it has been created with a textured slip-resistant finish.
With just one can, you will be able to cover up to 75 square feet, though you might want to apply at least two coats to get full coverage. I also like how easy it is to apply and it cures completely within just 72 hours. In this short period of time, you will already be able to revive and protect your deck. This paint is resistant to peeling and cracking, it’s even mildew resistant and waterproof, so you no longer have to worry about the rain or snow.
Just make sure that all surfaces must are clean, dry and free of any dirt, grease, and oil before applying the product.
3. Anvil Deck-A-New Resurfacer Deck Paint
• It can repair any wooden or composite decks by locking down splinters and filling up cracks of ¼ inch
• It doesn’t hold up that much; bare spots will start showing up after few months
• It’s easy to clean up using soap and water.
• It can restore worn-out wood and concrete surfaces allowing you to save on replacement costs.
• It features textured 100% acrylic can protect the wood and concrete surfaces against variable weather conditions and heavy foot traffic
This a premium slip-resistant deck paint that is available in five different colors: Butternut, Walnut, Cedar, Driftwood and Redwood. It has been designed to repair, restore and protect both woods and concrete surfaces with its eco-friendly textured coating.
One gallon of this paint will allow you to paint between 120 and 160 square feet. When applying this deck paint, you will be able to lock down a large part of splinters and fill the cracks with a depth of ¼ of an inch.
It is also 100% acrylic paint which can withstand harsh weather conditions and considerable foot traffic. Overall, this deck paint is worth your money.
4. RTG Deck, Porch, Patio Anti-Slip Paint
• It’s a textured paint that does not only provide an attractive finish but as well as a secure footing
• It has lesser coverage than what it claims to cover, which is 80 to 100 square feet
• It has an Eco-friendly formula
• It’s easy to apply and no priming is needed
• It comes with a durable coating that can withstand heavy foot traffic and harsh weather condition
A lot of wooden decks can become really slippery when it gets wet from the rain. Fortunately, this deck paint comes with anti-slip qualities, which is very important to secure footing on high traffic areas or deck steps. And what's even great is that unlike other anti-slip coatings its traction additive is not abrasive.
This textured paint is available in four neutral colors to suit your preference, there’s Light Gray, Sand, Clear/Amber, and White. It's also highly recommended for being very easy to apply, whether you will be using a brush or a paint roller; plus, there's no need prime before application.
5. Valspar 3125-70 Barn and Fence Latex Paint
• It is resistant to fading and harsh weather
• It is not mold and mildew resistant
• It smoothly flows and will intro a tough, heavy-duty finish
If you’re planning to deal with a large wooden deck that requires durable finish at a relatively affordable price, then this five gallon will do a decent job. It claims to provide coverage of 400 square feet with every gallon.
Though you will probably not be able to achieve the finish provided by the deck paints I mentioned above since it’s actually designed for barn and fences, this may be something you will need to repaint an entire decking at a cheaper cost. It will be fairly rough when it is brand new and it guarantees to be fade and weather resistant.
How To Choose The Best Deck Paint
There are some important factors that you need to consider first before buying a deck paint. If you will take them lightly, you might end up facing a great loss.
So take a look below some of the must-have features that you need to think through.
1. Choose a great deck color
Of course, your choice of deck paint color will make or break the game. The color is there to help you improve your curb appeal, add visual interest and complement your home. Do it poorly and the deck color will only become a distraction and the maintenance will totally be a nightmare.
So here are some tips on how you choose the deck colors that will work well with your home as well as your lifestyle.
• Consider the existing exterior palette of your home
Your choice of deck color should match existing combination colors of your home. It should become a perfect part of your exterior, not an unpleasant visual distraction.
• Consider your landscape as well as your indoor flooring
Your surrounding’s landscape will also influence the color choices you are about to make. If you have a mostly green landscape, then you might want to choose a deck color that will complement this dominant hue. If you have a colorful space, it would be best to opt for a more neutral deck palette.
Furthermore, if you have a deck that is directly connected to your home, take a look at your indoor flooring as it may suggest the best color choice.
• Don’t forget to test
Before choosing a final deck paint color, test out a small area of your deck. Step back and take a look at it from different angles as well as different times of the day to see how it will look.
Popular choices for deck paint color is chocolate brown, green, dark blue and dark gray. Gray, for instance, works really well with either warm or cool color schemes; plus, darker color like this are good in hiding footprints. Chocolate brown, on the other hand, is a neutral color that works well in small spaces.
2. Type of paint
Next, you need to consider the type of paint before buying. There are a lot of types of deck paint available in the market, choose one that will match your needs.
You can choose between oil and acrylic paints.
Also, if ever you are painting your deck, it’s important that you stick to the type of paint you’ve previously used. If you started with an oil based paint then stick with oil. If you’ve started with acrylic based paint then stick with acrylic. This is because both will not coexist, coating one with the other will be impossible.
There's also a big battle between, painting and staining. A lot of homeowners refer to ‘painting' their deck but rather mean they intend to stain it. If you want to entirely eliminate the wood look, then paint is a better option. However, if you want your deck to still look like wood then you might want to consider a stain.
3. Coverage Area
Another important thing you need to consider is your coverage area. If you have a wide deck, then you have to make sure you are choosing a paint that will cover the deck properly. It should also be long lasting and of high-quality as you will want to have it for a long time.
A painted deck will certainly look amazing, but after a while – well, you already know what will happen. So make sure you will never skimp on quality or else you will find yourself out there every other year.
But the good news is that these five deck paints I've mentioned above are the best of the best in the ocean of paint on the shelves of the paint store. They are of high-quality and will give your deck an attractive and durable coat. So I hope this article was able to help you find one that will suit your preferences. If you still have any more question, you can drop it at the comment box below.