Best Paint Roller Frames 2018-2019: Top Editor’s Picks And Reviews
Whether you paint, stain or varnish with normal paint brushes, you might take a lot of time and effort, not to mention the right technique. As a result, we want something easier that takes less of our time so we use paint roller instead.
A paint roller usually helps you accomplish the task faster. However, if you get the one with lousy a frame, instead of saving your time, you’re gonna spend a lot of time pushing the roller cover back to the frame and those awful finishes might get you frustrated in no time.
In this article, we will help you select the best paint roller frame by providing a list of the top paint roller frame so you can base on this list to make your own decisions.
Best Paint Roller Frames 2018-2019
This is the table that summarizes the details of the product in our list. It includes the products from three famous brands such as Wooster Brush, Purdy, and Shur-line. There are four paint roller frames of the common size which is 9-inches. The other two are bigger, ranged from 12-inches to 18-inches.
Why are these products included?
In this article, we review the list of paint roller frames in the most common used size, which is 9-inches. Besides, we also include products with larger sizes from 12 inches to 18 inches.In the 9-inches section and 12 to 18 inches section, we have five products that serve different needs.
- If you have no idea what to buy, get this one
Wooster Brush R017-9 Sherlock – We include this product for the lazy or busy readers who have no time to do research. The overall performing of this product is superb. On top of that, the price is pretty low yet durable. It is doing well in every aspect except for being noisy and heavy.
- For painters with weak hands
Purdy Pro-Extra Cageless is made with aluminum alloy material, providing a strong, durable yet light-weighted roller frame. If your hands get tired easily, buy this one.
However, the product is cageless. Thus, it is not good enough to hold the roller nap in place. You might have to waste your time pushing it back to the roller frame over and over again. Everything has its cost, so evaluate carefully base on your cost and benefit before purchasing it.
- For painting high ceilings and walls
Shur-Line Premium Twist N’ Reach is equipped with the flexible three-sections extension pole that can reach up to 3 feet (0.9 meters). With a simple twist, you can extend the pole from 18-inches to 33-inches (0.45 meter to 0.83 meters). Such a long reach is suitable for painting high walls and ceilings without using a ladder.
Although the pole is flexible, it can be broken easily if applied enough pressure. Be careful when using it. Put some epoxy paste and wrap it with fiberglass if necessary.
12-Inches to 18-Inches Section
For multiple sizes covers owners
Purdy Adjustable Paint Roller Frame – Purchasing multiple frame rollers for several covers might cost you a huge amount of money if you only purchase the high-quality ones. Nonetheless, if you get the crappy ones, it might not do the job.
To solve this problem, why don’t you get a high-quality roller frame that can fit all the covers you own (from 12-inches to 18-inches). Even though the price is a little bit high, it is still more inexpensive than purchasing multiple high-quality roller frames.
Unfortunately, the clips used to hold the roller cover, are made of plastic, it might not hold up to the pressure of rolling all day and might slide out. Make sure to apply just sufficient pressure to keep it from being slid out or broken.
For large ceilings and walls
Wooster Brush Big Ben is designed to hold 18-inches roller cover. Such cover size can cover a large area of the ceilings or the walls. You can complete the painting job faster with this one.
Despite the large size, it is made of extra-strong polypropylene, providing a strong, durable yet light-weighted roller frame. You don’t have to worry about getting your hand tired because of the large size.
The roller clips, same as those of Purdy Adjustable, are made of plastic. Make sure to be gentle with them.
Wooster Brush Sherlock Roller Frame
Wooster Brush is famous for producing quality paint brushes, let’s see how it performs in the paint roller frames market.
What's good about this Wooster Paint Roller Frames?
- Excellent wires cage – The size of the roller cage is good enough to hold the roller nap tightly, preventing the roller nap from slipping off the frame. It will save you a lot of time since you don’t want to waste your time pushing the roller nap back into the cage. Each time you push it back to the cage, you might end up with dirty hands and a total mess.
- Easy cover removal – Thanks to the quick release spring that not only prevent the roller cover slippage but also allows simple roller cover removal process with just one light tap on the sink. You will have an easy time cleaning the roller cover up without touching the paint residue that might dirty your hands.
- Smooth bearings – The internal bearings of the roller frame produce a smooth operation, helping to lessen physical effort required to utilize the paint roller. This pressure will translate into the muscle on the neck, shoulders, and upper back so you can do physical exercise while painting.
- Threaded handle – If you want to paint the high ceiling or the top tall of the wall, you can insert an extension pole for longer reach since it has full-size polypropylene grip with reinforced threads, compatible with Wooster Sherlock GT no twist poles.
- Durable – Geared with durable green fiberglass reinforced nylon cage & endcaps, the only job you need to do to preserve this roller frame is to clean the handle, then you get years of good service.
What we don't really like about it
- Noisy – Despite all the good things, the high-pitched squeal might be a huge turn-off. It might sound like no problem but torturing your ears in hours might drive you crazy. Make sure you get ear plugs, insulated wall or at least nice (tolerant) neighborhood.
- Heavy – With that big of a wire cage, it should be heavy. Get your muscle warmed up properly, take several breaks during the work to prevent injury.
We confidently rate this one the best product in our list. It has superb quality and durability, dealing well with the cover slippage problem so you don’t waste your time pushing it back, and can be cleaned up without messing your hands.
Judging from such qualifications, it serves perfectly the main purpose of buying a paint roller frame, to save your precious time. Unless you have a problem with your ears or want something light-weighted, you should consider purchasing it.
Purdy Pro-Extra Cageless Paint Roller Frame
Purdy is another well-known brand of this industry. Hence the price of Purdy’s product is usually high compared to others because of “Purdy quality”. However, will the paint roller frame from Purdy live up to its name? We will evaluate its performance so you can judge on your own.
What's Good About This Paint Roller Frame?
- Light-weighted – The skeletal frame is made of aluminum alloy material, making the roller super light. Your hands will not get tired easily since it only weighs 11.2 ounces (around 317.5 grams).
- Comfortable plastic grip handle – The plastic handle provides a comfortable grip, allowing you to paint easier than using the conventional handle.
- Universally fitting threaded handle - The threaded handle not only fits with QuickFit and Pro-Extra extension poles but also fits with other standard threaded poles.
- Easy to clean handle – Since the handle is made of plastic, it is easier to clean than those made of metal. This way you can keep your roller frame and use it again.
- Nylon fitted bearings – Like Wooster Brush Sherlock, Purdy Pro-Extra also has a smooth bearing, minimizing the amount of physical struggle put into a painting job.
- Durable – Aluminium alloy is a strong material with strong and durable characteristics. Product made of such material can last for years with just minimal preservation effort.
What we don't like about it
- Cover slippage – Even though the roller frame is attached with hexagon spring tension ring to hold the cover tightly, the cageless frame seems not good enough to keep the cover from slipping off the frame. You will have to push the cover back into the frame after about every 5 – 7 strokes.
- The worse thing is that you must not forget to push it back if you let it slip off far enough to the end of the frame and into the narrow portion, there are high chances that you will let the roller edges gouge a hole in your wall.
- Noisy – Like Wooster Brush Sherlock, it creates high-pitched squeal that might tire your ears after several hours of working.
- Paint residue and dirty water absorption – Since it’s cageless and enclosed, it tends to keep paint residue and water inside the roller frame. Before you are starting to paint with new color, you must wait until the paint residue is dried. Otherwise, you might end up leaving behind watery residue from your previous red paint on your new blue paint.
- High price – The price is too high compared to others’. Nonetheless, the overall performance is just average.
The price and the cover slippage are huge minor points of this product. You might end up wasting a lot of time with these problems if you are not an expert.
The only good thing about this product is the plastic made a universal threaded handle, providing a comfortable grip and fitting with most of the standard extension poles. Besides, the aluminum alloy making the roller frame durable and light-weighted.
Anyway, if you want a light-weighted and durable paint roller frame without minding spending some extra cash then it should not be a problem.
Shur-Line Premium Twist 'N Reach Premium Extension Pole
From the words ‘Twist ‘N Reach’, you probably can guess the selling point of this product right? The twist pole is what makes this product unique, and we will show you what so special about the twist pole and other features of this product.
What's Good About This Premium Extension Pole?
- Extends up to 3 Feet (0.9 meters) – The integrated extension pole allow you to effortlessly extend the length of 18 inches (0.45 meters) to 33 inches (0.83 meters) by just twisting it. Such reaches are ideal for painting wall and ceiling without using a ladder.
- No cover slippage – The wire is thick enough to keep the roller nap from falling over the roller frame, allowing you to save yourself from messing your hand with the paint.
- Comfort grip cushioned handle – The pole is light-weighted with a comfortable grip cushioned handle which requires minimal effort to use.
- Included nap knit roller cover – It’s a 9", 3/8" nap knit roller cover which is useful for semi-smooth surfaces including walls, ceilings, and low linting.
What we don't like about it
- Easily broken – The thinner section of the pole, when fully extended, might get broken with extra pressure put on it. The pole is weakly constructed, thus, make sure to be gentle with it. Tips: If it’s broken, plug the hole with epoxy paste. In extreme case, wrap it with fiberglass to increase the pole’s strength. That’s one inexpensive solution to make use of the broken one.
- Poor locking mechanism – If you are unlucky to get the defective one, the pole might slide down accidentally while you are painting.
By and large, it does a good job with that twist pole. Use it gently and so you can use it again. By the way, the price is affordable so purchasing a new one won’t be that painful.
Judging from the light-weighted material, the comfort grip cushioned handle, and the twist pole, we strongly recommend Shur-line Twist ‘N Reach for painting ceiling and wall.
Purdy 753018 Adjustable Paint Roller Frame – Fit all covers, fit all poles.
Another Purdy’s product, but this one is more unique. Let’s take a look at some of its special features.
What's good about this Purdy 753018?
- Adjustable frame – The frame is adjustable. Hence, it can hold standard roller covers from the length of 12 inches (0.3 meters) up to 18 inches (0.46 meter).
- Custom designed angle – Such angle allows you to get closer to the baseboard and ceiling, providing great wall coverage. Besides, such design makes smooth finish without leaving any roller lines on it.
- No cover slippage – Better than the previous Purdy Pro-Extra Cageless, this one has overcome the problem of roller cover slipping off the frame.
- Universal threaded end – Like its brother, it also has threaded handle that fits all standard extension poles.
What we don't like about it
- Fragile roller clips – The roller clips used to keep the roller cover in place are made of plastic, they might not hold up to the pressure of rolling all day and they might slide out. It seems like you have to be a gentleman to use Purdy’s product.
Tips: put two metal screws to hold it in place so that it won’t slide out again.
In general, it’s a good product, and everything works just fine except for the price. The typical problem of getting a Purdy’s product is always the price.
But it wasn’t that bad anyway if you own many roller covers in different sizes. You can save a lot of money by not purchasing different roller frames for each cover.
The cost of replacement for the low-quality roller frames you purchase for each roller cover might be even more than the cost of purchasing one strong and durable roller frame. As for that reason, we recommend buying it in case you own multiple roller covers.
Wooster Brush Big Ben Roller Frame
The design is a little bit similar to Purdy Adjustable except that it is not adjustable. This roller frame is compatible with 18 inches roller covers. If you need big roller frame for the large ceiling but are somehow unsatisfied with Purdy Adjustable, then you might take a look at this one.
- Light-weighted, durable and easy to clean - Extra-strong polypropylene construction contributes to the toughness as well as the light weight of the frame. Thanks to such material, the frame is also rust-proof and easy to clean.
- Quick cover installation and removal – The process is easy due to no hardware or tools required to adjust, just put the cover in both clips and it’s ready to use.
- Reinforced Thread – The threaded end is not only compatible with Sherlock GT pole for no-twist painting but also compatible with any threaded extension handle.
- No cover slippage – Even though the holding clips are made of plastic, they do a great job on keeping the cover in place tightly.
- Good for big ceiling and wall – Painting a big wall or a ceiling with a 9-inches roller frame could be frustrated. This roller frame is suitable for a large 18-inches roller nap that can cover a larger area of the ceiling or the wall than the area that a regular roller frame can.
- Fragile clips – Again, these clips are made of plastic so it could not withstand the pressure of rolling all day just like Purdy Adjustable’s clips.
With the fact that it is light-weighted, durable, easy to clean, large area coverage, and more importantly, no cover slippage, making the price of this product is quite reasonable.
Although it has fragile clips just like Purdy’s, you can’t find any solid plastic clips anyway since the material itself is fragile. Besides, the metal material is usually harder to clean.
The product is perfect for you if you are a lazy painter who wants everything to be fast and easy. We recommend using this one with an angled paint brush to cutting in edges and corners.
You can see that choosing the best paint roller frame is not an easy task. It’s important to get one that fits your needs.
We advise that you should pay close attention to the roller frame’s ability to hold the cover tight since you might waste a lot of time pushing the roller cover back to the frame. That goes against the purpose of getting a paint roller frame, which is to accomplish the task faster and easier than regular paint brushes do.
Another important factor that should not be neglected is the weight. If you don’t want to get your hands tired easily, buy the one with the particular weight that your hands can endure. Moreover, find the one that gives you a comfort grip.
For the roller frame size, it’s a situational choice based on your purpose. For example, if you need to paint the high ceiling, get the one with an excellent extension pole.
Overall, we rate Wooster Brush R017-9 Sherlock Roller Frame the best product in our list based solely on the price over the performance.
Last Updated on