Best Ping Pong Paddles (August 2019): For Beginners to Pros
Table Tennis or Ping-Pong is a highly competitive sport that uses eyes and hand coordination as well as being fast on your feet. As a beginner, it is not always easy to choose the perfect or perhaps the suitable racket for you.
It may seem just a combination of wood and rubber, but believe it or not, it is not. You need to think about its components from the shape of the wood, the blades, the rubber, the grip and so on. Don’t fret, that is why we are here for you.
Best Ping Pong Paddles (August 2019): Top 10 Rated Reviews
The Components of the Ping Pong Paddle
The Ping Pong paddle has four important main components, and this what you must consider first before purchasing a paddle.
Top Sheet Rubber
The top sheet is the soft rubbery texture on the paddle that can be seen from both sides and usually in two different colors and texture.
It is the part that hits the ball or strikes rather hit the ball with. The top sheet is distinguished in two sides: the pip out and the reverse rubber.
The blade is the frame or the wood that goes from top to the bottom including the handle and is located at the center of the paddle. There are four important things to remember about the blade:
- Thickness: The thickness of the blade affects the style of play. The thicker it is the stiffer the blade, meaning it increases the speed but on the other hand decreases the player's control.
- Weight: the weight of the blade is also significant to the play, the lighter the blade is the easier it is for the player to move around and hit the shot. But the with the heavier blade the player’s reaction is rather slow, this is usually used by players who play farther away from the table, also it allows the player to have more control over the shots and spin the ball.
- Head shape: Round- round paddles are known for its quicker attack, more blocking and easier to switch from backhand to fore hand. Square also known as J-Pen (Japanese Penhold)- allows a player to have a firmer grip, and more power to the shots.
- Type of material:
- Thin Rubber- rubbers that have less than 1.3 mm. the type of rubber is usually used by players who rather play defensive. Since the rubber is close to the blade, it allows the blade to absorb the shots and more control return of the ball.
- Medium Rubber- 1.4mm to 1.8 mm are the medium thick rubbers. It allows the player a more balance control of the ball and balance offense. This is the type of thickness most all around players prefer.
- Thick Rubber- rubber that is beyond 1.9mm in thickness are considered thick. These are the type of thickness most offensive players prefer because it helps them increase the power of the shots, the spin of the ball but on the downside loses more control of the ball.
The Sponge Rubber
The rubber sponge is the material you see in between the top sheet and the wood. The thickness of the sponge varies from one person to another person’s playing style, but according to the official
Ping Pong rules, the rubber sponge and the top sheet’s thickness must not go beyond 4mm.
Lastly is the handle, which is technically also a part of the blade, but for an easier reference is separated. The handle varies from a player’s dominant hand, whether he/she is left or right handed, the shape and the size.
TOP 10 RATED PING PONG PADDLES REVIEWS
STIGA Performance 4-Player Table Tennis Racket Set Review
The stiga classic has a straight handle, 5-ply blade, reverse rubber and surface pips out.
Provides more control over the ball and more balance performance with added spin of the ball for a more fun but competitive game play. Suitable for family, kids and even beginners.
STIGA Evolution Table Tennis Racket Review
The paddle blades are made of the top of the line quality, with the use of crystal technology that hardens the surface making the paddle increase its speed. The rubber has been approved by the International Table Tennis Federation.
The paddle has a shock dispersion tube in order to absorb the shocks of the shots and hence transferring the matter to the handle.
STIGA Pro Carbon Table Tennis Racket Review
The stigma Pro Carbon is made up of two layers of the top of the line quality blades that helps the players response during games. The speed has been increased so as the power. The rubber has stronger and tighter bonds hence, more speed and spin. Best suitable for tournament games.
STIGA Titan Table Tennis Racket Review
This paddle is very good for beginners especially the ones who does not want to spend too much on a paddle. It is made of very light weight materials and good enough quality rubber that can create an average spin.
But on the other hand, the sponge is not that good, that makes the racket incapable for super speed and power, therefore it is not recommended for offensive players.
STIGA Pure Color Advance Table Tennis Racket Review
Inexpensive and attractive. This paddle is great for players who just started ping pong. Made with a 5 ply wood blade, 1.5mm sponge, and 3-star rubber. It comes with four different colors of pink, blue, yellow and green. A performance level racket with a flare, created with ACS technology for excellent control, speed increased with the help of crystal technology.
Killerspin JET200 Table Tennis Paddle Review
The killerspin jet 200 racket is the type you can call entry-level. It Is best use for beginners and people who just play for fun. Made with 5-ply wood bale and blue and black rubber. Because of the color combination, this paddle is not allowed on tournaments.
Killerspin JET800 SPEED N1 Table Tennis Paddle Review
The ultimate professional paddle. Made with 7 layers of wood, with carbon-layers built on the wood blade. Light weight and all around the paddle, suitable for the offensive and defensive style of play. equipped with Killerspin’s the celebrated Nitrx-4Z high-tension rubber for increased speed and spin.
The JET800 is the definitive racket for players looking for style and an absolute advantage over the competition.
Kettler Advantage Indoor Table Tennis Bundle Review
The kettler racket is made for the purpose of recreational. The handles are designed for easy grip that allows the player to use it comfortably, even long periods of play. It has pip out surface to allow more control, spins and power shots. The product has 4 table tennis rackets and 8 pcs of balls.
Killerspin JETSET 4 Table Tennis Paddle Set Review
The item comes with a 4-piece premium table tennis rackets with 6 table tennis balls. The paddle has both reverse and pip out surface. For more all-around style of play. The blade has a 5.6mm thickness, 5-ply wood blade with ergonomic flare handle for easy grip.
Killerspin JET700 Table Tennis Paddle Review
The jet 700 provides a more aggressive gameplay compared to the Jet 800. Custom made with 7 layers of ply wood from 7 different varieties. Handles are flared slightly, very smooth grip. It has a larger sweet spot for even more powerful shots.