Best Security Camera System (October 2019): Editor Top 5 Picks & Reviews
No matter you are doing business or not, getting a best security camera system in your place is essential because we all need to protect our property and employees/family members.
Similar to building a Personal Computer, such a system requires a lot of effort and research. Make sure to get your knowledge on software and hardware up-to-date to set up the whole surveillance system.
In this review, we’ll guide you how to select the best DVR surveillance system that will work for you, by providing the features of each product as well as the problem you might face when using such product.
Best Home Security Cameras (October 2019): Top 4 Picks & Reviews
Here is the top surveillance DVR kit in our list. It varies from mid-end specification to high-end specification. Try customizing your choice based on your need.
Why do these kits are the best security camera system?
The products in the list aim solely to three types of consumers including household, small business, and big business.
For households, you usually need the best rated wireless home security camera systems to watch over your babies, detecting unexpected fire and sometimes an unexpected guest (burglar).Depend on the criminal rate in your area, and you might want to customize your need.
If the criminal rate is high, you need to recognize the faces and to store the evidence, thus, buy those with high resolution and a hard drive.
We recommend Amcrest (indoor) or EZVIZ (indoor and outdoor) for the best security camera system for home.Otherwise, you only need the cameras to detect unexpected fire or troubles to your babies.
In this case, you should buy the one with sensitive motion detection. DEFEWAY and Annke can do a good job, in this case, these two work fine indoor, and also provide night vision in case you need it.
We are referring to the small business where you have a few employees and some cheap tangible assets. Your only need is to prevent employees from being lazy, so DEFEWAY and Annke are good enough.
The term “big business” here refers to the retailer, jewelry store and other business with similar nature. The only aim of this one is to protect your precious tangible assets.For these types of business, especially jewelry store, you want to claim back your lost assets by providing evidence to testify against the thieves/robbers/burglars. The best surveillance system for business with high resolution and large hard drive should do the job, and you should choose EZVIZ for this situation.
Top Home Security Camera Reviews
Amcrest – ULTRA LONG Record & Enormous Features
Amcrest is packaged with many features that support the surveillance activity. Here are the features that highlight this product.
- Truly easy installation – With the ‘Plug and Play’ setup, the whole system can be installed easily without instruction because everything is straight-forward.
- Upgrade with ease – The system is backward-compatible supported with predecessor technologies that use coaxial connections, allowing you to upgrade by simply switching the camera while still being able to keep the previous coaxial cabling.
- Night surveillance – The cameras are equipped with 24 high-intensity IR-LEDs to capture details in low-light condition with clarity within 65 feet. The ‘infrared mode’ enables the camera to automatically activate when the light condition is low. Thanks to this mode, we can get a lower electricity bill each month.
- Customizable Motion Detection and Alert – You can choose the specific areas of the camera motion’s grid to active. Set schedule for the alert to be armed or disarmed.
- False alarms are prevented with the motion sensor sensitivity. There are also various options for security alerts including turning on the DVR's buzzer, sending an alert email, and triggering recording.
- Remote Viewing – You can use your PC or mobile as a remote control for these cameras. The camera channels are HTTP-encrypted providing more security than the regular IP-based systems.
- Ultra long record – The normal maximum record time is up to 6 days (144 hours). Even though the HDD is only 500GB, you can record at a lower resolution setting, prolonging the record time up to 30 days.
- Friendly web browser interface – Work with all types of the browser including IE, Firefox, and Chrome. The user interface is pretty straight forward and easy to use. You can easily take snapshots or download footages from the web browser to your hard drive.
- Intuitive system controls – The controls include rewind, fast-forward, play, pause, and adjustable slow motion.
- Besides, the events of disruption such as loss of video, full HDD storage, hard drive errors, or disconnected network cables are informed with the smart alarm features.
Even though there are many features to utilize, the quantity might reduce quality. Take these downsides for example:
- Too low resolution for capturing detailed vision – Despite being equipped with 24 high-intensity IR-LEDs, the 480p resolution couldn’t cope well with those IR-LEDs to capture details at day/night time.
Specifically, in low light condition, the clarity can only be provided within 10 feet. Anything further than that is blurry. Faces can’t be recognized in such poor details. At day time with the normal light condition, the camera can capture vision with clarity only within 30 feet.
- Bad customer support – You might get recognize that there are 1-year warranty and free US lifetime support. It might take 4 – 5 days for a replacement of the product. If you are running a big business, one day could be terrible enough.
- ?You don’t get your password – Memorizing a given random password sure is hard, this might force you to save you password somewhere, meaning there is a possibility for someone to get access to it.
On top of that, you can’t reset your password. The customer support team is the only one who can get you a new password, but they don’t work during weekends, though.
- Email alert doesn’t work well – If you set the high-security setting in your Gmail or Yahoo accounts, you should lower it down since the device can’t send an email to high-security accounts.
- Mobile app gets crashed – Happens to the pro version of the app, it cannot link up. Therefore, you should get a free version app to save money and time.
- Low-quality Screws – The screws are included in the box. However, we recommend you buying a new one since the screw are made of cheap metal that can be broken anytime.
Though this DVR kit has a lot of features, only a few of them work well. Unfortunately, the big minus point is that the quality of the video is low compared to others’. You can get longer record time at the expense of the video quality, though.
The whole point of setting up a surveillance system is to capture in details every corner of your place. Unless you don’t need night vision and a high-res record video, you might want to buy it.
The price of this product is not low. The good things about this kit are that it gives you experience to some advanced software feature and an easy installation.
Take a careful consideration of the cost and the benefit before making the decision. It is the best camera security system for home and for it is also the best small business security camera system where recognizing faces are not necessary, and for those who want to experience new smart features.
Annke – Mid-end kit with Smart Search Function
The price of Annke kit is much lower than Amcrest. Thus, it only has limited features. Nonetheless, these features are useful and work properly.
- High-resolution video – Resolutions setting options include both 720p and 1080p, providing a detail vision with great color.
- Smart Search function – One of the features that highlights the value of this product, the Smart Search function. On the playback mode, the function wisely speeds up until it detects actual motion, the video then plays with normal speed.
By not having to manually fast forward or rewind, you can save a lot of time without worrying about missing the details.
- ?Email alert with images – The cameras can automatically capture the images of unexpected activity and send those images to your email, enabling you to take action to prevent the incident on time.
- Easy installation – The install wizard makes everything easy, all you have to do is ticking the box and clicking the next button, then you plug everything in place and then it will run smoothly.
- Stable mobile app – The mobile app runs properly and does not crash. The user interface is friendly, allowing you to easily configure everything. Plus, the connection is stable.
- Motion detection – This setting allows the device to start recording only when there is actual motion. You can specify the particular areas you want to capture the motion of, for example, walkway or driveway.
- In case you might not be able to pay attention to all cameras. If the motion is captured in that specific camera, the monitor screen will switch from tile format (4 screens) to one full screen so you can pay full attention to what happens. You have to setup the setting on your own for this function to activate, though.
- Poor night vision – Despite the high resolution, capturing night vision seems to be a hard task to accomplish for every camera. The higher resolution at 720p/1080p only provides clarity within 15 feet which is just a little bit further than the 480p resolution.
- Awful instruction – Although the installing process is easy, it’s not an excuse for poor paper instruction since you still need to further utilize the functions and features. However, the online instruction has done a good job so far.
- No app for iOS – If you are an iPhone/iPad user then I truly feel sorry for you. Try PC software instead.
- Lousy material – The cameras have moisture resistance. However, they are plastic made, so the ability to withstand harsh weather is suspicious.
- Cheap bolts – Like Amcrest, the included bolts are low-quality ones, yet the price is low, so this is fairly acceptable.
Overall, this surveillance DVR kit performs quite well with a few useful features. The easy installation process is also a good plus.
However, the underdevelopment of mobile app for iPhone user is a big turn off. The price of this product is what makes it an acceptable product, though.
Consider the price and the performance, we recommend it a best home camera security system and also the best security cameras for small business.
DEFEWAY – The affordable one with decent performance
Although the price is low, the manufacturer still manages to deliver a decent kit. This is the best security camera system for small business so let’s take a look at its features first.
- High-resolution record – With 720p resolution, the cameras do a pretty good job in delivering a detail vision with strong clarity.
- Night vision – Geared with the 24 PCS Infrared-LEDs, they can provide up to 80 feet (20m) vision at night. Unlike Amcrest, the resolution of DEFEWAY cameras are high. Thus, the night vision can be captured clearly.
- Motion detection – Like other DVR kit, this one can detect motion and trigger the auto-record, you can save a lot of space on your hard drive or cloud storage.
- HDMI output – Playback from the DVR are in HD quality, so this is a plus if you own an HD monitor.
- Wide angle – No corners left behind, the extra wider angle, you can cover many vital spots in your place.
- Big purchase guarantee – 3-years warranty, 30 days return, and lifetime support. With warranty in such a long period, you can stop worrying about getting the defective one.
- Quick and easy setup – The setup process is friendly enough to give you an easy time for installation.
- Limited web browsers support – It only supports Internet Explorer. On top of that, you will need to install an ActiveX plugin which might be harmful to your computer (since ActiveX is blocked by firewall or antivirus software). Unfortunately, the ActiveX does not work so far.Awful performance on mobile – The resolution does not work well on mobile screen, causing a lousy vision where faces cannot be recognized. Besides, the playback on mobile does not work.
- ?No support for MAC – Well, another disappointment for Apple user. The software cannot be run on MAC operating system.
- “Allergic” to the sun – The afternoon sun might make the vision blurry. In extreme case, it might cause color loss resulting in a black and white screen.
- The wires are too short – If your house is 2-stories above, this might be bad news for you since the wire is only 60 feet long.
EZVIZ – Best high-end Surveillance DVR Kit
It’s the best video surveillance systems for home consider the price and the performance. The price is a little bit high but worth it. Since all features of the kit works well along with decent app and software.
- Full HD record – The resolution is 1080p. Hence, the image quality is high. Everything is captured in detail.
- Night vision – Decent night vision up to 100 feet with excellent clarity.
?The best camera system for home EZVIZ kit has the best night vision compared to the other three kits.
- ?Extra Wide-Angle Viewing – You will be able to cover most of the areas in your place with the extra wide-angle viewing feature of this product.
- Strong Weatherproof – The camera can withstand extreme temperature ranged from -40°F to 140°F outdoors or indoors.
- Motion alerts – Push notification will be sent to your mobile device each time the cameras detect motion.
- ?Remote access – EZVIZ provides apps for both iOS and Android platforms that work decently with friendly user interface.
- Security and Encryption – The video is stored with multi-layers security and encrypted from end-to-end. It can protect your footages and images from being stolen.
- High-quality HDD – The HDD is pre-installed with 1TB storage space, designed for 24/7 uptime.
- Don’t ever update firmware – Initially, you can access the DVR through a web browser with full advanced settings. However, once you upgrade, you will lose that feature and get to use the awful web app with limited settings instead. So we strongly recommend not upgrading your firmware.
- ?No zooming in playback mode – It might annoy some people since sometimes you might need to zoom to catch the detail. Play the record on another device to solve this problem.
- ?Noisy fan – Better get it away from your bedroom if you want some good sleep.
- Poor instruction – Remember to set the password after installing the cables since it’s your one and only chance to do it. If you miss this opportunity, you will have to go through an annoying process to get the password.
- You also need to setup the system before activating the app to establish a remote connection. The bad thing is that you won’t find any warning of these problems in the instruction they provide.
This is a product that deserves to be called a high-end product, its’ features seem to work quite well. Besides, the fact that you should not update firmware is acceptable because if the update causes you a problem, then you don’t have to do it.
The price of this product is high. However, it includes the 1TB hard drive. If you exclude the price of the hard drive, it’s only difference between $10 to 30$. Nonetheless, the quality is worth it.
Overall, we rate EZVIZ DVR kit the best product in our list. We recommend this one for both best security cameras for home use and also best security camera system for business use.
As you can see, selecting the best surveillance DVR kit is not an easy task. Aside from the specifications (resolution, HDD, record time, etc.), you also need to double check the material (metal or plastic) to see if it could withstand the harsh environment.
Furthermore, the length of the wire is important since you want to put best surveillance system for the home. The purchase guarantee is also not something you can overlook because the cameras might be easily broken if not kept properly.
Through our in-depth analysis, we choose EZVIZ Surveillance DVR Kit as the best product in our list. The analysis is based solely on the price and the performance.
Afterall, the keyword for selecting the right one is “what you need.” You should customize the choice by relying on your circumstance.