Best Socket Set (August 2019): Top 10 Reviews for Speeding Up your Diy Projects
If you’re always tinkering with nuts and bolts, you better have the best socket set in your artillery of tools. Sure, you can use a wrench to do the job, but that would be too tedious and a waste of your precious time. In this busy and hush-hush world, we want everything to be done quickly and effortlessly.
This article will help you find the best socket set out there. Whether you’re looking for an entry level set or a professional grade set, I’m sure I can help you.Let me tell you right now that I will provide you with a Top 7 list of some of the top-rated socket sets today.
The list will include models for every level of skill and budget – so, yes – I’ve got you covered.
Best Socket Sets (August 2019): Top 7 Picks & Reviews
Things to Consider When Looking Out to Buy the Best Socket Set
To serve as your guide in choosing a socket set, make sure that you are aware of the following:
- Right size of sockets
- Socket size markings
- Importance of casing
- Price and quality will tackle each of those points in the next sections.
Right Size of Sockets
Professionals can (more or less) easily find the right size of sockets they need when working on a project.
Most of the time, however, you will find the socket you need through trial and error (if it fits or not).
For this reason, arranging the sockets (from small to large) is very important – especially if you own a big set.
Being organized is also practical as putting them back in their case will allow you to find the needed piece of socket easily.
Socket Size Markings
Socket size markings serve as their labels when trying to find the right tool for a project. Basically, there are 2 types of markings used in sockets:
- Laser Markings – These markings are easier to read because laser labels are very clear when used on metal. Still, if you can find socket sets with large-sized laser markings, that would be even better.
- Embossed Markings – These are not as clear as laser markings. However, if they’re made to be big enough, you can easily read them. You will also find models of sockets with color coded embossed markings for easy identification.
Importance of Casing
If you own a big set of sockets, you really need a case to hold these things and keep them organized.
Surely, you wouldn’t want to sort through a bag of sockets just to find that one piece that you need, right?
So, if you don’t have a case, get one – or at least segregate the sockets in different bags or containers.
Price and Quality
Of course, the price of a product will usually determine its quality.
This applies to socket sets, too – however, that doesn’t mean that a pricier socket will have more features than a cheaper socket.
Note that sockets are very identical with one another (especially when of the same size) and have the same accuracy when it comes to fitting nuts and bolts.
Quality, therefore, refers to how the pieces of sockets are made to be durable and long lasting.
Sockets have contact points – these are the angles in a socket drive, and a number represents how many sides there are in a socket. There are 2 major sizes of sockets with contact points – there are others, but these are the most common:
6-point sockets are those that have 6 sides inside. These are further characterized by the following:
- 6-point sockets are useful for tinkering with vehicles such as cars and motorcycles.
- 6-point sockets are capable of large turns (60 degrees per turn).
12-points sockets have 12 sides inside the drive. If you compare a 12-point socket with a 6-point socket, you will see that 12-point sockets have smaller sides (or angles).
This type of socket is further characterized as follows:
- 12-point sockets are most useful for fixing household appliances and projects that involve small mechanisms.
- A 12-point socket is more advantageous than a 6-point socket when used in tight spaces as this type of socket offers more starting points.
Compared to a 6-point socket, a 12-point socket can make smaller turns (only 30 degrees per turn).
How Important are Cases?
I have already mentioned to you just how important cases and storage containers are when it comes to keeping sockets. Aside from organization, however, do take a look at how cases are constructed. This information is important when getting one or when buying a socket set that comes with a case. So, please keep the following points in mind:
- Most socket set cases are made of plastic. However, you can tell if it’s made of cheap, thin plastic or durable, thick plastic. Of course, hard plastics will last longer than thin ones.
- Check on the locking mechanism. There are cases that come with plastic hinges – these are not very durable as this type of design can easily break. Those with draw bolt locks and latches are better as they are more durable.
- Since a socket case will carry a really heavy load (metal sockets are heavy, you know), make sure that it’s durable. You want the case to keep your sockets safe, neat and organized for your every use.
TOP RATED SOCKET SET REVIEWS
Stanley STMT71652 123-Piece Socket Set Review
As a reputable brand in the business, you will also want to consider the Stanley STMT71652 socket set (video).
- Number of pieces – This model is made up of a total of 123 pieces.
- Size – The package comes with ¼ and 3/8-inch drives.
- Contact Points – It contains all 6-point sockets.Package
- Package– The package includes spark plug sockets, hex keys, and screw driver bits.
- Design – It includes a ratchet and additional tools with quick release buttons.
This is a good socket set from Stanley and it’s worth considering. I know that a lot of people consider it to be the best socket set for car maintenance and other jobs.
Stanley 92-839 Black Chrome and Laser Etched Socket Set Review
For another option in a Stanley socket set, consider the Stanley 92-839 Black Chrome socket set (video).
- Number of Pieces – You will get a total of 99 pieces of sockets and tools with this package.
- Size – The package includes ¼ and 3/8-inch sockets.
- Design – The markings are etched by laser and the pieces are coated with black chrome finish.
- Contact Point – It’s comprised of 6-point sockets
For a socket set that includes wrenches and ratchets, this model from Stanley makes for a good option.
TEKTON 13101 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Set Review
If you’re looking for a basic socket set, consider the TEKTON 13101 (video).
- Number of Pieces – It contains a total of 45 pieces of sockets and other tools.
- Size – It has ¾ to 5/16- inch drives as well as 8 to 19mm.
- Contact Point – All the sockets are 6-point sockets.
- Design – This package includes shallow and deep drives.
- Package – Other tools are included in this set – a universal joint, a ratchet, and a 6-inch extension.
All in all, this model is a small, useful socket kit. You can rely on this socket set for various works.
DEWALT DWMT73804 Drive Socket Set Review
For a branded name in a socket set, the Dewalt DWMT73804 makes for a great option.
- Number of Pieces – The package contains a total number of 34 pieces (it includes other tools).
- Sizes – It has ¼ and 3/8-inch socket drives.
- Materials – The pieces are made from high quality metal.
- Ratchet – a 3/8-inch ratchet with quick-release button is included.
- Other Tools – The package includes a 3-inch drill adaptor, a 3/8-inch drive 3-inch extension, and a drive adaptor for 3/8 to ¼-inch drives.
This is a good socket set from Dewalt. When you decide to get this particular model, you will also be getting all the necessary tools that go with the sockets. This package can be easily considered as the best socket set 2019 model.
69 Pieces - EPAuto 1/4” & 3/8” Drive Socket Set Review
- Number of Pieces – A total of 69 pieces of sockets and tools are included in this set.
- Size – There are ¼ and 3/8-inch drives in this model.
- Contact Point – You will get 6-point socket drives when you get this package.
- Materials – The sockets and tools are made of steel.
The EPAuto socket set is a good starter set. Note that it also comes with a ratchet and other tools.
Powerextra Impact Socket Set Review
You can consider the Powerextra Impact socket set as another option when looking out to buy a set of sockets.
- Number of Pieces – It contains 65 pieces of hardware.
- Size – The package includes ¼ and 3/8-inch drive sockets.
- Contact Point – This model is an all 6-point socket set.
- Package – Other tools are included in this set including a 3/8-inch ratchet, a 3/8-inch extension bar, and a 3/8-inch universal joint.
You can include this set as another one of your options when looking out for the best impact socket set for your needs. It comes with a good selection of socket sizes and tools.
Craftsman 299-piece Ultimate Easy Read Socket Set Review
The Craftsman 299-piece socket set (video) contains different sizes of sockets. You can consider getting this package if you specifically want a set that only contains pure sockets and no other tools.
- Number of Pieces – This model of socket set contains 299 pieces of sockets in total.
- Sizes – It contains different sizes of ¼, 3/8, and ½-inch drives.
- Lengths – The pack includes regular as well as deep lengths of sockets.
- Design – Each piece has laser markings.
- Contact Points – It contains 6-point, 8-point, and 12-point drives.
I am really impressed with this Craftsman set of sockets because the package is simple yet very useful. This set will probably be your go-to tool set once you have everything organized. In fact, this package could very well be the best socket set for mechanic works.
Of course, warranties are always important. In the case of socket sets, Companies that sell them usually offer long warranties as this type of product is typically long lasting. Warranties may carry the following benefits:
- Free replacement of broken sockets.
- Free replacement for lost sockets.
In both cases, you will have peace of mind that you won’t need to buy just one piece of socket when a socket gets lost or broken. You can just imagine the trouble of hunting for just one piece of socket to complete your set again.
Choosing the Best Socket Set
As you can see in the Top 7 list, Craftman socket set is a really great package as it contains pure sockets (no other tools included) in 6-point and 12-point drives. So, if those are all you need, you won’t waste your money on other tools that you don’t really want.
Now, if you’re looking for a starter set that includes a variety of sockets and some tools (ratchets, extensions, etc.), you can choose between the Dewalt DWMT73804 Drive socket set and the Stanley STMT71652 socket set.
The Dewalt set is comprised of 6-point sockets (the most basic of all sockets) and it also includes a ratchet and other types of tools. And you know that you can trust the Dewalt name when it comes to quality, right?
We all know that Stanley is a trusted name as well – and the Stanley STMT71652 socket set also makes for a good option when looking out to buy a starter set of sockets.
Like the Dewalt model, this package is also made up of 6-point socket drives – but it contains more pieces of sockets and additional tools.
Do let me know if you found the best socket set for you in the Top 7 list that I just presented to you. I always appreciate your comments, so do leave me a message if this post has been helpful to you. And of course, don’t forget to share this article with your friends if you think it will be helpful to them, too.