It’s true that buying air purifiers can be quite expensive. While there are also reasonably priced units, you also have the option of making your own air purifiers – and thereby save you a lot of money in the process.
In this article, you will learn how to make an air purifier – just a simple air purifier, if I may just add. I suggest trying out the suggestions here so that you can see for yourself if DIY air purifiers really work.
I will particularly show you 2 types of homemade air purifiers that you can easily do at home. Yes, I guarantee you that they’re easy to make and that the materials needed are widely available in stores.
DIY Box Fan Air Filter Purifier
This is an in-expensive air purifier for your allergies or polluted environment.
- a heavy duty Lasko Industrial Fan,
- 3x filtrete 20x20" filters
- a variac to help control speed and volume, as even at the lowest setting the powerful fan is WAY too loud/much air.
Enjoy the air pur??ifier benefits
Diy High Performance Air Cleaner
Here are some more examples of how to make an air purifiers:
Compact Air Purifier
Here are the things that you need to make a simple, compact air purifier:
- CPU Blower – 12 volt
- Motorcycle air filter
- 12-Volt Battery
- DC Wire
- ?Glue Gun?
To make the air purifier (video), follow the steps below.
- Use the glue gun to attach the motorcycle air filter on top of the CPU blower (the opening of the fan). Press the two objects against each other firmly.
- Straighten out the DC wire.
- Connect the CPU blower’s wire to the DC wire to make it longer.
- Attach the wire endings to the 12-volt battery’s ports.
- This homemade air purifier works by sucking in polluted air through the filter and releasing clean air through the CPU’s blower outlet.
- This model of DIY air purifier is quite weak and is only intended for small rooms or small areas.
- Since the unit’s wire is directly connected to the battery, it doesn’t have a control system for the on/ off functions.
How to Make a Box Fan Air Purifier
Here are the things that you need to make a box fan air purifier (video):
- Box fan – 20 inches
- HEPA furnace filter or air cleaning filter – size 20x20 inches
- ?Duct tape?
Assembling your box fan air purifier involves very simple steps:
- Make sure that the fan is unplugged.
- Using duct tape, attach the filter at the back of the fan.
- Plug the fan and turn it on.
- This box fan air purifier works by sucking polluted air into the fan system and filtering the dirt (and other allergens) from the air. Purified air is then released back into the room.
- To make sure that your fan air purifier is always working at its best, clean the blades from dust regularly.
- This air purifier can be operated just as you operate a fan. If your fan has 3 speeds, you can also operate this DIY air purifier using 3 speeds.
- Note that this type of homemade air purifier is only intended for box fan models as their design allows them to be converted into an air purifier. Other fans are not really designed for this purpose (to run with filters) and are therefore not suitable as materials.
- For a really effective air purification method, choose filters that have high ratings and efficiency scores. Otherwise, your homemade project will only have a short lifespan.
Why Do You Need an Air Purifier?
We all need the best air purifier for large room or whole house because we are living in a highly polluted world – that even our indoor environment is filled with airborne pollutants and contaminants.
- Pet Dander
- Mold Spores
- Smoke Particles
- More Types of Air Purifiers
Air purifiers are designed to filter dirty (polluted) air so that this can be converted into clean air. The process is really simple as airborne particles are sucked into the device so that clean air can be released back into your indoor environment.
With clean, fresh air in your home (or office), your immediate environment will be odor-free, dust-free, and germ-free as well (depending on the type of air filtering system your unit has).
Benefits of Making Your Own Air Purifier
You have just seen some examples of DIY air purifiers – and they’re really very easy to make, right? Listed below are some of the other benefits of making your own homemade air purifier.
- Homemade air purifiers are so much cheaper than store-bought models.
- Since you will be creating your own air purifier, you can create a unit that’s suitable to your needs. You can customize it to look a certain way and to function a certain way as well.
- DIY air purifiers (especially the ones I included in this post) are cost efficient and energy efficient as well.
Disadvantages of Making Your Own Air Purifier
Of course, there are also disadvantages to making your own air purifier. Consider the points listed below.
- If you’re not really a DIY person, you might find it hard to make a simple air purifier.
- Because of your limitation as a sole maker of a homemade air purifier, the features and designs of the unit can also be limited in nature.
- Without all the needed technologies in making a home appliance, you might not be able to make a truly powerful air purifier.
Should You Make Your Own Air Purifier at Home?
Now that you know how to make an air purifier, should you really do it?
Frankly, I think you should – if you have the time and energy to do it, that is. You see, by creating your own air filtering system, your creativity and ingenuity will go into full gear so that you can create something special and useful.
And of course, you can save money by doing so, too.Do let me know if you already started creating your own air purifiers, ok? I would really love to know how they turned out (especially if you use the samples I gave in this article).
Also, don’t forget to share this article with your other DIY friends – especially those who are conscious about air pollution. I really think this post will be useful to them.