Table Saw Vs Circular Saw: Which Is The Right Choice For Your Woodworking Projects?
Table saw vs. circular saw, which one to prefer depends completely on the work we do with our tools.Both these tools get classified under woodworking power tools.
THINKING OF BUYING A TABLE SAW?
Table saws are majorly used for cutting wood, but can also be used for cutting aluminum and steel sheets.
Table saw has a lot of features, one among many being the speed with which you can measure the depth of your cut in the wood plank and the efficiency, thus stated as the backbone of any workshop.
Table saw is divided into some categories, as you can find here.
- bench top
Bench Top Saw : Being light weight as well as a portable saw with a universal motor, it is generally used for making shorter rip fence due to its narrower top compared to contractor and cabinet saws.
Contractor Table Saws are comparably heavier due to their attached stand and wheels; with either an induction type motor with 1 to 2 hp or a motor with a direct drive blade.
Homeowners or people with wood crafting hobbies generally use this tool case of its less power consumption and lower cost than the other table saw models.
Moving on to the Cabinet Table Saw which is comparably heavier with a huge amount of steel and cast iron, this heavy structure decreases vibration and increases the accuracy of the work being done.
If installed at home, cabinet saw requires a heavy-duty circuit setup, it is an improved structure in many aspects due to its heavy and enclosed cabinet structure as it increases durability and the dust collection port is majorly helpful.
Hybrid Table Saw is a market competing model to the contractor saws and the cabinet saws. The Hybrid saw being heavier than the contractor saw and lighter than the cabinet saw, can run on a 120-volt American household circuit.
LOOKING FORWARD TO
BUYING A CIRCULAR SAW?
Circular Saw being a tool cutting for many materials such as plastic, masonry, wood and metal which can either be mounted on a machine or hand-held as suited to the user.
The nature of the circular saw is rotary where power is required for the machine to run but the cuts are made easily and much faster.Even a circular saw is sub-divided into some categories.
- Cold saw
- Miter Saw
- Abrasive Saw
- Panel Saw
Cold saw is a circular saw with large diameter blades used basically on metals. Materials produced while cutting is carried off by the teeth of the blade as well by the coolant fluid being used.
Miter saw is a basic saw used with a miter box basically used for small cutting and miter cutting.Miter Saw can be further categorized into power Miter saw which is a portable tool with a common blade ranging from eight to twelve inches.
Abrasive saw, also known as a chop saw comes with the technology of disk blades with composite friction which helps to cut through metals and is usually used for cutting metal. An abrasive saw is a saw with diamond blades or CBN used for cutting asphalt and concrete and pipes by construction workers.
The panel saw was first used in the year 1906. It is used in shops to cut laminates, panels, profiles plastic sheets, wood, and melamine.
Many people have many questions about the tool to choose under the ongoing dilemma faced over the Table Saw vs. Circular Saw rift.
Some people ask which one to purchase first, a table saw or a circular saw?
Well, the answer to this will surely be a table saw as it is preferred by many and is the tool for the home makers for the in-house construction where the work relies mostly on the tool than on the user.
It requires lesser experience with the tool than its circular saw counterpart.
Some asked, why even buy a Table Saw?
Well their lies another answer to it which is the speed with which you can measure the depth of your cut and even make the cut with much efficiency, stated as the backbone of any workshop.
How efficient is a table saw and which product to buy?
As we go through the various products falling under the Table Saw category we go through the review of these five products.
- With a 4 and a half star rating on Amazon.
- 15Amp motor, 120 volt power with a 3850RPM.
- With a price of around three hundred dollars, it weighs around 45 pounds.
- Comes with an overloaded protection system, so that if the blade gets stuck in the wood, it won’t spring back at you.
- An ideal tool, for a person with an extended career in wood.
- It has a four and a half star rating on Amazon.
- Large table size.
- Strong motor useful for thick cuts.
- Priced at around six hundred dollars, gives it a point to think twice.
- Rip fence is very accurate.
- Portable jobsite table saw with 10 inch blade.
- Rip fence easily adjustable and has accuracy.
- Rated 4 stars on Amazon.
- With a 4800 rpm and 15amp
- Adjustable rear feet.
- Mess free working due to the vacuum port.
- Heavy saw
- 15Amp blade with a RPM of 5000.
- Miter gauge which is adjustable for cross cuts with accuracy.
- Includes blade wrenches.
- Price is extremely good, around hundred dollars.
- Light weight, easily transportable device.
How efficient is circular saw and which product to buy?
To have an idea about the various products falling under the Circular Saw group you should go through the review of these five products:
DeWaltDWE575SB Lightweight Circular Saw
- light weight
- A 15 Amp motor developing 1950 Max Watts with a blade revolution of 5100 revolutions per minute.
- Excellent tool for a novice.
- Passes through oak and other hard woods easily.
- Lightest, portable high power saw.
- Circular saw with enthusiast level.
- 15 Amps motor with a blade rotation of 5800 revolutions per minute.
- The blade is carbide tipped Makita blade 24T, which is an above average blade which you get powered by a very sturdy saw.
- Not good for a professional as the machine is used to its extreme limit, but is great for a person with a wood crafting hobby.
- The inbuilt LED light makes the line of cut easily visible.
- Basically, and only meant for the users with professional view-point.
- Uses 15Amp power but with a worm drive which is sturdy, but with a blade revolution of only 4800 revolutions per minute.
- The Saw hook is an extra feature to this product.
- Price is a bit extra, with a tool for rigorous work.
- The reasonably light weight of just 13.5 pounds.
Rockwell RK3440K Versa Cut
- Quirkiest one.
- Amps power used to power its motor.
- Laser indicator used to cut straight lines easily.
- Used for on spot cutting of already installed tiles or wood planks and not destroying the material underneath
- A tool for both the enthusiast and the professional.
Skil 5680-02 Circular Saw
- Entry level product.
- Very low price competing product
- 15Amp motor has more than 4800 RPM
- An upgrade to the 01 model of Ski.
- Comes with a dust blower and a laser guide.
A circular saw always stands cheaper than its table saw counterpart along with its comfort of portability. A new user without a budget will hand down go for a table saw and do all the tasks of ripping boards and cross-cutting without the need of a special jig or a keen hand as in the case of a circular saw.
Whichever saw you use, safety is a major aspect to see on whichever tool you choose. Knowing the tool and its work correctly and not ripping your fingers is a think to take care off on any choice you make.
As to conclude we can easily state that the confusion about which tool to choose from among table saw and circular saw rift is a never-ending.
But it can be said that table saw is a tool for the novice home maker or a tool user, where a circular saw is an installation being made by a professional who knows how to do the work, how to make use of the circular saw in order to compete the table saw.
Table saw will let us rely on the tool for the work to be done, but as some say a circular saw is a tool for the person who knows it as it contrastively relies on the user for the precision and efficiency of the work.
Last Updated on