Air purifiers are very popular today because of our current state of air pollution. However, this type of device has been in existence (in principle) for over 200 years – such as when people were using protective masks to protect themselves from inhaling polluted air.
So, really, what is an air purifier?
If you’re curious as to what it is, or never heard about it, or just want to know more about it – read on, as this article is for you.Aside from knowing what an air purifier is, you will also find out how it works, where and how to get one – and if you really need to get an air purifier.
Air Purifier Explained
To put it simply, an air purifier is a device (it’s a type of appliance) that cleans the air from pollution, namely:
- Pollutants – Airborne pollutants include dust particles, smoke, odor, allergens, etc.
- Contaminants – Chemicals fumes, germs, and microbes are all considered to be contaminants.
How Air Purifiers Work
Air purifiers work by filtering the air from pollutants and contaminants such as:
- Mold Spores
- Pet Dander
- Bacteria and Viruses
An air purifier runs an air filtering system to clean the air from the above-mentioned pollutants and contaminants and much more.
Basically, there are 4 types of air purifiers – Filter System, Electrical Attraction Technology, Radiation System, and Ozone Producing System. I will explain each type below.
Why You Need an Air Purifier
There are lots of reasons for needing an air purifier – of course, we need it to purify the air from airborne pollutants and contaminants. Below are some of the other reasons why you should consider getting an air purifier.
- If you have allergies, an air purifier will help in reducing the number of allergens in your indoor environment.
- Asthma sufferers will also benefit from using an air purifier because it can eliminate airborne particles and pollutants that can lead to asthma attacks.
- If you’re using an air purifier for dust, it will reduce the dust in your home and you will be cleaning less (and with less effort).
- Your immediate environment will smell fresh and clean if you’re using an air purifier that’s effective in absorbing odors and odor-causing molecules.
- An air purifier will improve the overall air quality in your environment as dust, germs, smoke and VOCs are eliminated from the air.
Why You Need an Air Purifier
Think about the points I listed below if you’re looking out to buy an air purifier.
- Size – As air purifiers come with varying features and power, look for a model that can handle air purification in the room that you intend to use it for. The recommended square footage is often included in the product description, so check that information out.
- Filter type – Choose an air purifier that uses the type of filter that’s suitable to your needs. Aside from that, I also recommend checking if the filters are washable or disposable (note that having disposable filters means having additional costs as you will need to buy replacement filters regularly).
- Features – Look for added features that are important to you, such as:
- Wheels and handle for easy transportation from one location to another.
- Digital control for easy programming.
- Remote control for convenience.
- Fan speeds for more operational control on the unit’s power.
- Change filter indicator to let you know when the air purifier’s filters are already dirty and due for changing or cleaning.
- Air Quality sensor to automatically adjust power and fan speeds according to the current situation.
Benefits of Using an Air Purifier
Thinking about getting an air purifier? I really think you should. Below, you will find some of the benefits of using an air purifier.
- If you have pets, an air purifier will filter the air from pet hair, pet dander, germs, and odors.
- If you are prone to hay fever, asthma, and allergies, using an air purifier will help as it can purify the air from pollen and other microscopic particles that you may be sensitive to.
- An air purifier is effective in controlling mold spores in your environment. This would be good for your health as mold spores can cause respiratory problems (such as lung infections) and breathing problems (difficulty in breathing).
- Dust and dust mites will be under control when you’re using an air purifier. You can, therefore, avoid having skin allergies and other complications.
- Not all cooking odors are pleasant – and an air purifier is capable of cleaning the air from odor and odor-causing particles.
- If you have smokers in the family, getting an air purifier that’s effective in purifying the air from smoke and odors would be very helpful.
- Disease-causing germs are all around us every day – that’s why having an air purifier that can kill germs is very useful.
An Air Purifier is Good for You
There’s no doubt about it – using an air purifier is good for your health. I, myself, have several units of air purifiers at home.Just make sure that you scrutinize a particular model first so that you can get the unit that’s most suitable for you.
If you have other questions and concerns about air purifiers, you can leave a message below. And if you already got one, I would love to know about your experience with it. And don’t forget to share this post with your friends – so that they will understand how air purifiers work as well.