Best Jigsaw (May 2019): Editor’s Top 4 Picks And Reviews For Woodworkers
I'm someone who has already experienced through many circular saws and band saws. I used to think that jigsaw is a degraded version of band saws. However, I had never been so wrong.
Actually, the best jigsaw can do curve cuts like a band saw. On top of that, it can do many tasks like pocket cuts, inside circular cutouts, trimming inside built-in cabinets or furniture.
Even more, the best jigsaw performs well tasks such as straight cuts, crosscuts, and plunge cuts. Beveling, ripping and making other shapes are easy tasks for the jigsaw.
So you can see that jigsaw is everything but useless. However, there many types and brands of jigsaws that might overwhelm a newcomer. Therefore I decide to make a "Best jigsaw 2019" article to guide you through everything.
From 5-year experience in using jigsaws, I've always tried to sort out the best jigsaw brand. I’ve read through plenty of top rated jigsaws reviews such as Ryobi jigsaw review, Dewalt jigsaw review, and Makita jigsaw review.
Finally, I’ve come up with the list of the best jigsaw tool to help you make your decisions. I hope this article will be helpful for you.
Best Jigsaw: Editor's Top 4 Picks And Reviews (April 2019)
Top 4 Jigsaw Reviews
DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B Review
If you are familiar with DIY jobs, you must have known about Dewalt brand. Dewalt is a big manufacturer in various types of saws. Jigsaws are also one of its massive product lines.
What do I like about this DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B jigsaw? It’s the cordless feature. Since I can use a battery instead of a power cord, it should be more convenient.
- Cut through various materials – Thanks to the 18-volt battery powered motor, this jigsaw cuts in the speed range of 0 - 3,000 SPM (strokes per minute). The lower speed is for the denser materials, the higher one is for thinner materials.
With such speed range, the jigsaw can cut through solid wood, plywood, laminate countertops, plastic, metal, even nail-embedded wood. Obviously, you have enough power to handle the materials that might give other battery powered jigsaws a difficult time.
I performed a scrolling cut on a sheet of 0.75 inches plywood with this tool once. Got the right blade and cut the sheet smoothly without any problem. Honestly, I didn’t even expect it to cut this fast, yet the power and torque really exceeds my expectation.
- Ergonomic and Convenient – My hand sweats a lot while working, yet it never falls off when holding this jigsaw. Because this jigsaw has a top-handle with the anti-slip feature, I always have a firm grip on this jigsaw.
The weight of this jigsaw is also very light, it weighs only 5.1 pounds. As a result, it gives you better comfort and absolute control over the jigsaw; the jigsaw won’t move around on you.
To clear the sight for your cut line, you can use the built-in dust blower to blow away all the debris and chips.
- High bevel cutting capacity – The bevel shoe can turn from left to right on a bevel scale of 0 to 45 degrees. There are 4 degree stops, namely 0, 15, 30 and 45 degrees. Choose the desired angles simply by locking the silver lever action behind the back of the jigsaw.
- Tool-less bevel adjustment – Unlike other jigsaw, the DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B offers a keyless bevel adjustment, meaning that you don’t need any tool to adjust to the desired degree for bevel cutting.
- Proficiency locking mechanism - The fool proof locking mechanism design keeps the angle of the guide in place. Owing to the stable fool proof locking mechanism, the guide won’t come out of line while cutting.
Unlike other jigsaws, you save more time when bevel cutting since there are less problems encountered. For added stability and sturdiness in operation, the bevel shoe is made of all-metal construction.
- Better control with 4 different orbital positions – Each orbital action gives you the right speed for different types of material. You probably know the mechanism of the orbital action. In the orbital action, the blade moves forward and backward while moving up and down, creating a circular motion.
To keep it simple, if you cut soft materials, you will want the blade to move faster hence you need the higher speed. On the opposite side, if you cut hard materials that require smoother precision cut, you need to turn down the speed.
- Less hassle blade change – Have you ever heard of keyless blade change feature? It is a pretty common feature in the jigsaw industry. Even though each jigsaw has a slightly different structure, they all use a simple clamp to keep the blade. The good news is that you don’t need any tool or screw to remove the blade out of this clamp.
Normally, the quick blade change wouldn’t be that much important. However, if you work with different type of material, you will find this feature as useful as ever. Since you need to change blade constantly if working with various materials, a quick blade change will be definitely more convenient and less time-consuming.
- Long battery life – It works for the very long hours and the battery hardly wears down. Luckily, we don’t need to sacrifice our productivity for the convenience and compactness of a cordless jigsaw. Otherwise this tool would be fairly useless to me.
- Speaking from my personal experience, I used to have a cordless circular saw whose battery only last for nearly 20 cuts. After every 15 to 20 minutes, I had to stop to recharge the battery. Even more, I purchased additional batteries and it still annoyed me so much.
- There are two reasons I despise low-battery life so much. First of all, since I had to purchase additional batteries, it cost me roughly over half the price of the saw. Secondly, stop working constantly to change battery really decreases your productivity a lot. Not to mention that some saw might have a hassle battery change process.
So if you ever need a cordless jigsaw, make sure to pay attention to the battery life. Apparently, you don’t want to spend extra cash on additional battery or to waste your time changing the battery constantly.
- No vibration – The secret behind every precise cut is the jigsaw that generates no vibration. You can’t cut straight if there is too much vibration on the process. So a jigsaw that generates no vibration is pretty valuable.
- 3-year warranty – Dewalt warranty service will cover up any of the faulty materials or workmanship in three years from the purchasing date. In addition, you have the right to reclaim the worn part caused by normal use in one year for free.
- No battery included – I guess you get the word “bare tool” now, don’t you? They call it a bare tool because you have to purchase the battery and charger separately. To get the tool running, you need to buy the DC9096 18-volt XRP battery pack and DW9117 15-minute charger from the manufacturer.
- No LED light or laser – Make sure to work under good light condition since this tool does not have any vision support. On the bright side, this tool is cordless so you can freely choose the work place you want. Given the freedom of choice for the work place, please work anywhere rather than under a dark basement.
- Only compatible with T-shank blades – On the advertisement, the manufacturer states that this jigsaw fits universal blades. Despite of the advertisement, I saw many reviewers claim that this saw is only compatible with T-shank blade. After receiving the tool, the claim from those reviewers turned out to be true. Except the T-shank blades, all the universal blades fall off when I put them on.
I have so many universal blades out there and now they are useless. I strongly recommend you getting Bosch or Dewalt T-shank blades as many customers (included me) can confirm that they are compatible with this jigsaw.
DeWALT DC330 via Craig Harimon
First thought came to my mind when I bought this jigsaw was that I don’t have to fight with the power cord. Also, I love this tool because it helps me cut in tight spaces.
Similarly, tasks like Wood flooring, building sheds and porches, scrolling cuts on plywood, and curve cutting in laminate counter tops are quite easy. Keep in mind that the tasks are not limited to what I have mentioned.
Because you don’t need power cord, this tool is perfect for low power availability jobsite areas. In other words, when the work place lacks of power, yet you don’t want to pull out the generator, this jigsaw would be extremely useful.
Another good thing about this jigsaw is that it is inexpensive. It would be perfect if you already own a XRP kit consists of battery and charger. This way you don’t need to spend cash on purchasing them. This is indeed an inexpensive solution the hobbyists, and even the pros in emergency cases (when lack of power resource).
BLACK+DECKER BDEJS600C Review
Black + Decker is the most cost-conscience brand in the power tool industry. The manufacturer tries to make jigsaw affordable to everyone. Even though you only pay a humble amount of money, you can still get a quality tool with all the features of a mid-end jigsaw. This is basically the best value jigsaw on the list.
- Curve Control Technology – You can use this feature to get the jigsaw to orbit in 1 of the 4 customized settings. What makes this Curve Control Technology special is that it’s pretty user-friendly.
Normally, there are 4 common degrees on other jigsaw, and you have to figure out the best one for your cut. For people who have never used jigsaw before, this is a difficult choice.
Noticing this problem, the manufacturer carefully shows you the right orbital settings for different kinds of cut. A curve-control dial attached on the side of the jigsaw has an easy-to-read visual illustration on it.
The straighter the cut, the more aggressiveness you need and vice versa. After determining the right setting, just twist the dial to make the jigsaw operate on that setting.
- Powerful motor with variable speed – Just because the cost is lower doesn’t mean this power tool is weak. It has 5 amp powerful motor that generates up to 3,000 SPM of cutting speed.
- Controlling the speed is easy. The trigger itself is variable, the more you press down on it, the faster it cuts. To hold the trigger in place for a stable speed operation, you only need to press the lock-on. It’s the most convenient speed adjustment I’ve ever experienced.
With the variable speed setting and the right blade, you can perform any cut you want. For instance, straight cut, pocket cut, circular cut etc. For materials, it can cut through any type of material that the DEWALT Bare-tool DC330B can.
- Bevel cutting – Like other jigsaw, you can perform bevel cutting from 0 to 45 degrees. On the base plate (shoe), there are notches that indicate the angle. The numbers of degree are 0, 22.5, and 45 degree from both left and right.
- Tool-less blade change – There is a little lever to release the clamp, you pull down the lever and take the blade out. In the same fashion, you put the blade on it by pulling down the lever too.
More importantly, this jigsaw is compatible with both U and T shank blades. This is where this jigsaw wins a point over the DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B since it only fits T shank blade.
- Wire guard for precision support – The Wire Guard has improved to give you clear sightline for cutting accuracy and comfort.
- Exhaust port for cleaning up – There is a dust port to connect dust blower or the dust vacuum into it. With this, you can easily suck the dust out of the jigsaw. Likewise, you can blow the dust out to clear sight for cutting.
- Inexpensive – As I have already mentioned, Black + Decker is the most cost-conscience manufacturer. Its target is to minimize the cost by acquiring massive production line. In this way, the cost of the product is minimal due to economy of scale. Therefore, it allows the manufacturer to widen up its target customer base.
The manufacturer tries to make this tool affordable for everyone. Thanks to that, you can own a jigsaw with all the best features while only pay very little cash.
- 3-year warranty – The warranty term wipes out all the worry about the “low price product” norm. Usually, we don’t expect much from a low price product since we think of it as something disposable.
However, with 3-year limited warranty service and 30-day return, the manufacturer has given you the even better purchase guarantee for what you have paid.
- Noisy – This jigsaw is a little bit noisier than a regular jigsaw. If you can’t stand the noise, make sure to get earplugs on. Anyway it is not pricey, therefore, a little downside like this should be expected.
- Power cord too short – This is a normal problem for every power corded jigsaw. The power cord is only 7 feet long, which might be too short. You’d better get an extension cord.
- Tool required for bevel adjustment – Unlike DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B, you need a screw driver to loosen up the screw, take the base plate off to adjust the bevel scale. On top of that, the bevel options only limit to 2 scales which are 22.5 and 45 degrees. These scales might not be enough if your job including more precise bevel cutting.
Black and Decker Jigsaw Review (New Curve Control) -- by Home Repair Tutor via Home Repair Tutor
What drew my attention when I first saw this jigsaw is the price, I could not believe that I could have got a jigsaw with such inexpensive price. On the other hands, its simplicity also surprises me a lot. The design is so simple that my wife could use it too. This is the most newbie-friendly tool in the industry. Lastly, the warranty term is such a good bargain in fact.
I have been using this jigsaw for years with tons of projects completed, and I’ve encountered very few problems so far. I would recommend this jigsaw for woodworkers or carpenters no matter you are a professional or a beginner.
Bosch JS470E Review
Robert Bosch Tool Corporation is a power tool manufacturer located in North America. Established in 2003, Bosch is well known for its innovative strength. Each of the Bosch products always has at least one unique feature that you can’t see in other tools.
This is a jigsaw with big cutting capacity. It has the 7.0 amp motor power which helps it cuts through the tough materials including mild steel. Along with the power are the innovative features that might surprise you.
- Big power for dense materials – This jigsaw is the one among the top power rated, the motor operates with 7.0 amp of power. The speed or the no load SPM ranges up to 500 – 3,500 with 60 hertz.
About the cutting capacity, the jigsaw can handle different types of material in certain thicknesses
- Wood - 5-7/8-inches.
- Aluminum – 7/8 inches.
- Mild steel – 3/8 inches.
- Constantly maintained speed – If you often use the low-quality jigsaw, you may notice that the speed decreases slightly during or after each cut. This is because the manufacturer does not account for the consistency of the speed. Consequently, it leads to less precise cut due to inconsistencies of speed.
Taking into consideration of this problem, Bosch JS470E features the Constant Response Circuitry that maintains constant speed overtime. In this fashion, you don’t have to worry about the inconsistencies of speed anymore.
- 4 orbital settings – Like other jigsaw, you can adjust 4 different orbital settings to find the right blade strokes for smooth or aggressive cuts. There is a rule of thumb for choosing the right speed, specifically, the denser the materials, the slower the speed and vice versa.
- Bevel cutting – Like other tool, this jigsaw also has the bevel scale up to 45 degrees. Sadly you need a tool to adjust for bevel cutting.
- Tool-less blade change – You don’t need to touch the hot blade, that’s the whole point of having a tool-less blade change. There is a tool-less blade ejection lever allows you to change the blade by just turning the level from side to side. Thanks to it, you won’t get burn by touching the hot blade.
- Less vibration and more comfort – Owing to the Internal Precision Control feature, you can now run the machine in low-vibration for more precise cuts and smoother operation. As a result, the jigsaw never bounces up and down on my hands.
There is an ambidextrous lock-on button on both sides of the handle. Ambidextrous means it is suitable for both right-handed and left-handed people. Now you can easily release your grip on the trigger to adjust to a more comfortable position for more control. This feature is useful for long and continuous cut.
For even more comfort, on the handle there are the soft-grip areas to give you a more comfortable grip. Accordingly, you won’t get hand fatigue after using the tool over plenty hours.
- Dust blower – You can keep the cutting line clear from the sawdust with an adjustable dust blower.
- Dust blower – You can keep the cutting line clear from the sawdust with an adjustable dust blower.
- Better blade clamp – The place won’t fall out with the exclusive multi-directional blade clamp that keeps the blade steadily with superior grip.
- Sturdy base plate – Not only being large and sturdy, the base plate also has a steel insert for more sturdiness to endure any impact of dropping down.
- Brilliantly placed variable speed dial – The speed dial is located at the rear of the jigsaw which is very convenient for user to adjust to the desired speed.
- Longer cord – Unlike Black + Decker BDEJS600C, this jigsaw has a very long power cord. This is useful when you are running your tool off a centrally located electrical power station. With the longer cord, you can move the tool around easily. On top of that, you save money by not buying an extension cord.
- Not compatible with U shank blades – Like DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B, it is only compatible with T shank blades.
- Uncomfortable trigger – As I was cutting with this jigsaw overtime, I found the trigger digging slightly into my finger. Then I noticed that the corners on the trigger edge are really sharp. I used a glove to solve this problem. Yet I hope that they will round off those edges in no time.
- Lack of Internal Precision Control feature (only a few cases) – Some of the customers claim that they see no Internal Precision Control feature on the jigsaw. I suspect that they might get the defective ones. If you are unlucky enough to get one, please remember to change it before the 30-day return limit.
Matt's Pick - The Bosch JS470E Jigsaw via Toolbarn
The power from this jigsaw gives me a clear and smooth cut through any material. The tool also generates very minimal vibration that I never encounter any bounce up/down. This is basically the best combination between precision and power.
With such power and features, of course the tool costs higher than others on this list. But you get what you pay for in the end. I would like to recommend this jigsaw for both woodworking and metalworking tasks. Lastly, I also rate this jigsaw as the best one on my jigsaw list.
Makita 4350FCT Review
This is another powerful jigsaw that stands out from the average one like Bosch JS470E. Makita 4350FCT has a 6.3 amp motor which is slightly lower than Bosch JS470E yet still be enough handle any tough material.
Uniquely, this jigsaw has LED light on it which is a rare since most of its competitors don’t have LED light. Besides, the features of this jigsaw are similar to Bosch JS470E.
- Powerful motor – Powered by a Makita-built 6.3 amp motor, the jigsaw runs at the speed of 800 – 2,800 SPM. Like Bosch JS470E, the electronic variable speed control design allows it to maintain constant speed during the cut for better accuracy.
After taking out the jigsaw for some tests, I found that the jigsaw is applicable for laminate flooring, counter tops, three-inch-thick 2X4s and 1 ½-inch-thick maple. It split through all these objects without any hardship.
Like other jigsaws, Makita 4350FCT has 3 orbital settings and one straight cut setting. The way to adjust to these settings is similar to other jigsaws on this list.
- More quietness and less vibration – The jigsaw operates with 40 percent less vibration and produces the least noise among its peers. This is a strong support to your precision.
In addition, you don’t have to worry about your neighbor complaint about the noise. At the same time, you have a less stressful working environment without noise.
- LED light – With the LED guide, it would be easier to place the saw on the desired position without getting it out of alignment. If you are a professional woodworker who often performs contoured cuts, you may know that they are the most difficult ones among all.
- Tool-less blade change and bevel adjustment – For more safety, you don’t want to touch a hot blade after considerate hours of cutting. Fortunately, to change the blade on this jigsaw, you only need to pull the lever and shake slightly for the blade to fall off. This way you won’t get burn by touching it.
Therefore, you need all the possible guides and help to assist your performance. Moreover, if you often cut in the dark, this feature should be useful.
- Unlike other jigsaws, you don’t need a tool to adjust the angle. There is a key attached in the back of the base plate, you use it to release the bevel adjustment then lock it back again. This is pretty handy if your job requires constant bevel adjustment.
- With this on-board hex wrench used to adjust the bevel you can cut in various positions up to 45 degrees. Also, it has a positive degree stop at 90 degrees.
- Ergonomic – The grip is rubberized for more comfort and control. Moreover, the jigsaw weighs only 5.7 pounds. It would be easy to hold this jigsaw over hours without hand fatigue. This feature coupled with the low-vibration creating the most ergonomic jigsaw for your operation.
- Additional non-marring guard included – If you are working on a smooth surface, you probably don’t want to leave scratches on it. Whenever you do so, remember to attach the non-marring guard included by the manufacturer to prevent marring the smooth surfaces.
- Purchase guarantee – Although the warranty term only lasts for 1 year, you can return the tool within 30 days from the purchasing date if not satisfied. You can choose either replacement or refund.
Moreover, within 1 year period, you can return the complete tool (freight prepaid) to the Authorized Service Centers or Makita’s Factory if there is any trouble develops on the tool.
- It wobbles sometimes – In some rare cases, the customers get the defective jigsaws that wobble a lot. As they have to adjust their hands to the wobbliness of the jigsaw to keep the cut straight and smooth, their hands are quickly out of stamina.
- Some of them have returned the product due to this problem. However, they are just some outliers instead of the norms.
Makita 4350FCT Orbital Action Jigsaw via Toolstop
Despite all the complaints, Makita 4350FCT still receives very high rating on Amazon. Most customers included me are satisfied with the performance of this jigsaw. This jigsaw is ideal for general contractors, cabinet makes, remodelers, and woodworkers.
You have to pay higher price to get this tool, however, the warranty term is very good that you don’t need to worry about any loss. Just remember to check the tool frequently for any trouble, because the warranty term is only 1 year. Overall, this jigsaw is worth the money.
By and large, the two main factors to pay attention when choosing a jigsaw are power and precision. To achieve power you only need a powerful motor. However, there are more factors on precision such as low-vibration, LED guides, ergonomic grip, constant speed features etc. Make sure to get one which includes most of these features.
Of course, safety is also important. However you don’t encounter that much kickback on a jigsaw like other saws. A tool-less blade change feature should be enough for the safety.
Based on your need, choose the right one for your work. In this article, I nominate Bosch JS470E as the best jigsaw on this list, based on the price and the performance.