How To Remove Window Screens – From The Outside
Window screens are used to cover opening of windows and a lot of us use one but they, like other things in our life, need changing and that task can be quite tricky. Even though we are asked to remove our window screens in advance, we never do so till it is too late.
The important thing to keep in mind is how to remove a window screen without doing any damage to the window itself.
How To Remove Window Screens?
Tools To Remove Screen From Window:
Craftsman 9-47137 Slotted Screwdriver Set, 5 Piece
For more tools, here is a list of 150 woodworking tools for beginner.
- Screen Roller
In order to remove screen from window, use
- A putty knife or a flat screwdriver to remove the old screen splint from the frame. If there is any debris or dirt in the channel, clear it out well before continuing to work.
- Make sure that the screen material is at least 2-inches wider than the frame itself. Use a utility knife to trim the length, again leaving 2 inches excess at each end of the frame.
- Now roll the screen all the way over the frame and pull the screen tightly over it.
- The screen roller will have two wheels at each end: a concave wheel that has an inward groove on the edge, and a convex one that has a rounded edge.
With the help of the convex wheel, roll the tool over the screen so that it gets pushed into the channel of the frame.
- Take the new screen splint and use the concave wheel on the screen roller to push the splint into the channel of the frame, fitting over the screen.
- Make sure the splint is pushed in all the way so that the screen does not pop off. Once the screen and splint are placed, trim off the excess screen material and you are all set to go.
The thing that you should note here is that the actual way of removing window screens is from the inside; that is the method recommended by most manufactures.
Pull tabs are provided for window screens to be removed from the inside. The method of window screen removal that I am referring to here should only be used as a last resort.
Here Is A Step By Step Instruction On How To Remove Window Screens
- Your right thumb should be pressed on the lower right hand side of the screen frame and then you can gently push the screen into the recess of the frame. This process will help you to lower the hidden half moon shaped tension springs of the screen.
- A gap will thus be created on the left side of the screen. You need to put the fingers of your left hand in this gap created on the left hand side of the screen.
Be careful about how much pressure you are applying to the screens while inserting fingers, if you are not too sure about putting your finger in, you can also do the same with screwdrivers, or other cylindrical
- In cases where you do not get enough space, my advice would be to not push things any further as it might damage the window itself.
Sometimes screens also come with finger tabs in the upper left and lower left corners of the of the screen guard. In that case my advice would be that you put your fingers into the screen tab and pull out the lower left corner.
- Next, you should press the thumb of your right hand on the upper right hand of the screen and gently push screen in to the recess of the frame. Grab the upper left frame with left hand and try removing the screen completely with gentle care.
How to remove a Pull Tab Screen?
How-To Remove a Pull Tab Screen via JELD-WEN Windows and Doors
Replacement of Window Screens
How to remove a window screen without lift tabs via Ben Donahower
- Next, the glass needs to be cleaned with care. Remember it is glass so be careful about the cleaning formula and how you are handling it. After it has been cleaned well, place it back into the window frame.
There is a probability that there will be water in the track of the bottom of the window from cleaning it. You would not want dirty water to splash back on to the clean glass again.
Now it is time for the glass to be put back into the window frame:
- First you need to lift the screen back up to the glass with the half moon shaped tension springs facing your right and use the pull tabs on the left side.
- Be careful about to pull the tabs that are facing the glass or else the screen will be inserted inside out. If you do that, you would not be able to remove it next time.
- Place right side of screen in frame and apply just enough pressure to the right side to lower the tension springs. This will allow the space needed to insert screen's left side into the framework.
Due to the excess water formed in bottom window track, you should insert top left screen first and follow it by gently placing the lower left side into the frame without splashing any of the water back on to the clean glass.
Large Window Screen Replacement
Window screen replacement: do it yourself via iScaper1
And there you go! Your window screen frame replacement is done!
The splash back problem can easily be solved by wicking up excess water in track with any good sponge before placing the screen back into the frame.
A Few Final Thoughts And Words
This is a really easy work if you are a little precautious and take a little care. Because you will be using sharp objects, keep children away when you are doing this work.
You will obviously get a lot of professionals to do this work for you but if you are attempting to do this on your own, this instruction should be of good help. Always try to do it from the inside but if things can’t be done that way then take the last resort.
Here is a video to help you out: